PDA

View Full Version : Forests rules-Newb question

Graywolf34b
01-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I am still kind of new to the game but last night I play a two games were the FORESTS RULE came in to play. Firsrt game player generated a forest and had his unit inside. Due to the 3" rule, the expert player stated I could not see him, and he could not see me (unit was not a hunters). Next game I playd a Warjack was in a forst and was 2.5" from edge of forst, player clamed that becuse he could see 0.5" out side of forst he could thus see his full 8" RNG. I do not think he was right but the judge ruled in his favor. According to the HORDES RULE BOOK PG 90 if unit/warbeast/warjack has "any part of its base" inside the forest the unit can only see 3" in or out of the forest for LOS. Was I right in my understading of the rule or was the judge right? I need help understating Forest and how it effects LOS and DEF.

Bumblescrump
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Your freind is right, three inches of forest blocks line of sight, less than that does not. I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but that's the only way I've seen the rule interpreted... I see your line of thinking, but maybe it would help to think of LOS as either you have it or you don't, there's no real range. You see, or somethings blocking you from seeing (like three inches of forest).

waspinator21
01-07-2011, 05:58 PM
bumblescrump is right. anything less than 3 inches into a forest is fair game for shooting

TheUnknownMercenary
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Primal page 90:

When drawing line of sight to or from a point within a forest, the line of sight can pass through up to 3" of forest without being blocked, but anything more blocks it.
If a model is inside a forest or targetting a model inside a forest, Line of Sight is not blocked by 3 inches or less of forest. Anything over 3 inches blocks Line of Sight. The 3 inch rule is only used if either the target, attacker or both are in a forest or forests. If there is a forest between both models and neither model is in the forest, then it doesn't matter how big or small the forest is, the forest will block Line of Sight.
To boil it down, more than 3 inches of forest blocks Line of Sight and 3 inches or less does not block Line of Sight.

Graywolf34b
01-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for clearing that up now I understand Thanks. However since the jack/Beast was partaly in forest it got the concealment (not cover) bonus. I also had a beast that was 0.5" from a forest teran and a troll spearman shot at my Ferral but could only see a small poart of its base, did my Ferral get the +2 Def Bonaus? we both agreed but I just want to make sure. Thanks for clearring up all of my new guy questions.

FerrusManus
01-08-2011, 09:47 AM
First of all forest grant concealment, not cover.
Also to get you must have be in the forest to get concealment. As long your model is not in the forest and opponent can see at least a tiny sliver of your base he can shoot it without any penalties.

EDIT: Sorry, my bad, you should have gained concealment. Should have checked the book (it's always this way - when I check the book I have remembered the rule correctly anyways, and only when I decide not to check I misremember it).

Graywolf34b
01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
I know he had LOS, but I thought concealment grants you +2Def? pg 89 "a forest is rough terrain and provides concealment to a model with any part of its base inside its perimeter." Then on PG 58 the example for concealment and conver in action for LOS show a Titan Gladiator in forest granting concealment (+2DEF), wich brings me to PG 57 on concealment and cover rules and the 1" rule. " A model withing 1" of a terrain feature that OBSCURES any portion of its base from an attacker can gain eaither concealment or cover bonus, depending on the type of terrain, to its DEF againts ranged and magic attacks."

petegrrrr
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Right, but the rules for forest state specifically that you will only get the concealment bonus, so that's all you get.

You get +2 def vs ranged/magic only. You don't get cover, just concealment.

Graywolf34b
01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
error to post fixed ( bad choice of wording in my post), I forget that wording is every thing in this game. Thanks for keeping me strait on rules... Things are starting to make sense now. I can not wait to play agine, this game is alot of fun.