PDA

View Full Version : Fury

Deamons_word
01-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Hey, hope this is ok on here, if not, just let me know.

I have recently moved from Warmachine to Hoards and was looking through the rules for fury. I want to check I have got my understanding correct-

In the control phase, the warcaster can leach fury off his warbeast to his maximum amount (eg - 7) The warbeasts then need to check for threshold if they have any fury left on them. So for example - I may take all my fury off a Carnivean and it won't frenzy or need to be checked but can't be forced, I could leave it with 2 fury in which case a threshold check with 2 fury but if passes I can perform two forces on it or I could leave all fury on it, and if it passes, I can do 4 forces?

If so - what is the point of some models (Shepherd) being able to remove fury in the activation phase as they will already have passed threshold or frenzied?

Cheers for your help

Scheky
01-08-2011, 08:24 AM
You have it wrong. When you force a beast, you put fury ON a beast, not take it off. If you take all the fury off your Carnivean, you have now made sure it doesn't need to make a threshold check AND have opened it up to allowing for the use of 4 fury on it this turn. If you leave all the fury on it, and it passes the threshold check, you cannot force the beast at all, as it's filled up on fury. This works the opposite of focus on Jacks.

Thus, the purpose of taking fury off is that they may have more available for their activation now, or you may want to remove it after the beast gets all angry so the next threshold checks are easier. Most likely, you will always have more fury on your beasts than your Warlock can handle, so anything that removes fury from the beasts is likely a good thing (until later game where the loss of beasts evens things out).

Deamons_word
01-08-2011, 08:34 AM
so... I want to take fury off the warbeast to give my caster fury to use for spells, forcing, etc. If I force a warbeast, it gains fury and in the following control phase they check for threshold unless I leach again? so less fury on a beast = good so shepherd good as they help me manage the fury?
cheers for the help

Askew37
01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
The only way for beasts to lose fury are:

1. Leeching or Reaving by the Warlock

2. Dumping fury after they've failed a threshold check and frenzy.

3. Special abilities that remove fury (shepherds, whelps, Saxon Orrick, ect.)

Even passing a threshold check causes the beast to hold onto whatever fury caused the check, making him less effective for the turn (being able to be forced less).

lurkernot1
01-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Uh...Just so you're clear, when you force a beast it doesn't cost your lock anything you just add a fury to your beast. First sentence looks like your caster is spending fury to force and that is not the case! :)

Deamons_word
01-08-2011, 08:54 AM
WICKED!!! I did think that meant you used fury like focus to command beasts and cast spells, etc... life has just got more fun :D

I think I have it all clear now - thanks guys!!! :D

Askew37
01-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Yep, Warlocks don't generate their own fury (unless they cut themselves during control phrase, but ignore that for now). Beasts generate their own fury via forcing, and the warlock pulls it off the beasts during his control phase to use for spells, animi, their own boosting, and/or transfers.