PDA

View Full Version : Two instances of Return Fire on same model

FerrusManus
01-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Spell and rule in question:

Unless otherwise specified, multiple instances of the same effect (that is, effects with the same name) on a model are not cumulative. If a model would be affected by a second instance of an effect, the second instance is not applied and does not change anything about the first instance, including its expiration. If the effect has a duration, this means it expires when the first applied effect expires.

Return Fire Cost:1 RNG:6 UP:No OFF:No
When target friendly Faction model is targeted by an enemy ranged attack, after the attack is resolved the affected model can make one normal melee or ranged attack, then Return Fire expires. Return Fire lasts for one round.Since Return Fire (RF from now on) is not an upkeep spell you can cast two or more instances of it on a single model, my questions what exactly happens when model with 2 or more instance of RF and is shot, what exactly happens. Sorry if it seems like I try to bend the rules, it's just that English is not my native language and because of that rules sometimes are hard to interpret.

So model with 2 instances of RF are targeted by an ranged attacks this model will:

Version A: make one normal ranged or melee attack then both instances of will RF expire.
This seems like most sensible from balance perspective and most likely the way RF's intended to work.

Version B: make one normal ranged or melee attack then one instance of RF will expire. If it's targeted by ranged attack attack again and survives it he makes another normal ranged or melee attack and then the last instance of RF will expire.
That's how I read RAW however I'm not sure if I'm right.

Version C: make two normal ranged or melee attacks then both instances of will RF expire.
Hey, a trollblood can dream, right? Obviously wrong, included here only due to my pedantic obsession of completeness.

whats82
01-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Same name effects do not stack, so even if you cast 2 RF on the same model it still only benefit as 1. (Consider engine of destruction is not an upkeep, casting it on your caster twice would still give you 1x benefit)

sepher32
01-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Unless otherwise specified, multiple instances of the same effect (that is, effects with the same name) on a model are not cumulative. If a model would be affected by a second instance of an effect, the second instance is not applied and does not change anything about the first instance, including its expiration. If the effect has a duration, this means it expires when the first applied effect expires.

The second instance of Return Fire will have no effect and expire at the same time as the first instance does. Version A.