PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Checking Command Range"

Lordofstorms
01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
So i am new to warmachine, probably 6 games in 6 months of experience.
And to top it off i am coming over from warhammer/40k.

so something has come up and i was told that i should post on the forums and you all would clarify this.

According to the rules you can check your command range at any time. But my opponent is checking his command range but using it it to double check spell ranges, charge ranges etc etc.

When you say anything about it, he points out that warmachine is different than 40k and that this is completely legal.

so, i am taking him up on this and posting here for clarification.
thanks in advance

Tom Servo
01-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Totally legit. Welcome to a new game!

hausdorff space
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I think you mean Control Range?

And yes, totally acceptable.

Lordofstorms
01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
i DID mean control range DOH!

and DOH! ok, i was hoping otherwise.

so let me ask me a related question
can one do the same thing by checking "command range" to "make sure your units are in coherency" and just so happen to check charge ranges while doing so?
i did that to prove a point and he thought that was cheesy

JacobtheAussie
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
You can measure you Control Range (2x FOCUS / FURY).

I believe that you can only measure Command Range to determine range for CMD check or at the start of a units activation to check that members are in formation. And in both of those situations you are measuring from model to model

Lordofstorms
01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
ok ok
at the time i was trying to "make a point" cause i was a frustrated at this issue and a few others (its being discussed in the minions forums

its not something i "do" and i wont do it again

ps
nothing quite as embarressing as making a point, when they were right in the first place...doh

Kallas
01-17-2011, 02:00 PM
With command (not control) range, can you not check it at any time during that model's activation?
I can't find the rule, if it exists...

rydiafan
01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
With command (not control) range, can you not check it at any time during that model's activation?
I can't find the rule, if it exists...

Unit commanders may check command range to other members of the unit at any point during the unit's activation, as per page 71 of Prime.

Eglagrodion
01-17-2011, 02:25 PM
wow, ok so when " ending" a units activation you can still check if they are in coherency then? and use the command range to check charge/threat/other measurement ranges?( ie from the leader/officer that is)

rydiafan
01-17-2011, 02:28 PM
and use the command range to check charge/threat/other measurement ranges?( ie from the leader/officer that is)

The leader can only measure to other members of his unit. Whether this helps you eyeball other ranges is up to you, but you cannot measure out to where ever you want to check charge ranges.

Nakat
01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
For what it might be worth to the OP, the logic of being able to check your control range is that Warcasters and Warlocks have a kind of "Battlefield Awareness," or limited Omniscience if you will, within that area. They know exactly how far away they are from their jacks, and anyone else around there.

Heck, Vyros of the Retribution takes this a step further, extending it to his bird, and extending that view to all of his battlegroup.

Not rules, I know, but it is a part of the game you are intended to do.

Plebian
01-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Vyros of the Retribution takes this a step further, extending it to his glorious falcon of retribution, and extending that view to all of his battlegroup.

FTFY :)

Can you measure the full command range? Ie I have a CMD 9 Unit, and the model is 3" from the leader, do I only measure 3" or can I measure the full 9"?

rydiafan
01-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Can you measure the full command range? Ie I have a CMD 9 Unit, and the model is 3" from the leader, do I only measure 3" or can I measure the full 9"?

Only the 3"