PDA

View Full Version : Terrain and blocking of LOS

Orbax
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok, so in this thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?43733-Volume-and-elevation) an infernal stated that terrain cannot block LOS. I am confused as to how this works with determining LOS rules (taken from the PDF, left book at someone's house so if this isn't how it is currently stated please correct)

I feel like Im missing something

In the following descriptions, Model A is determining LOS to
Model B:
1. Draw a straight line from any part of Model A?s volume
to any part of Model B?s volume that is within Model A?s
front arc.
2. The line must not pass through terrain.

NIK2286
01-17-2011, 08:33 PM
The line can't pass through terrain. Like a 4" high wall would obviously block LoS to Any (current) model. BUT, if there is only a 1/4" wall in front of a model, you would still have LoS because you could draw A line to both bases, just slightly above the 1/4" mark. Since all models are at least 1.41" tall in volume, you'd be able to see them.

Northern Ronin
01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Do not read "Through" as Over. The line literally cannot move -THROUGH- an object of Terrain. If you're just drawing a straight line -OVER- terrain, you're fine (From the top of the models Volume keep in mind).

Orbax
01-17-2011, 09:21 PM
in the diagram though, there was someone standing on terrain, which would seem to, by LOS rules, to block LOS

Paddywhack
01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
That post was asking if two bases could overlap given an unusual situation concerning terrain. Hence Macallen saying:

Are you determining if terrain blocks LOS in this thread?
No.
So there is no such thing as volume in this thread.

He is not saying that terrain does not blocks LOS, just that the post referenced is not asking about LOS therefor volume does not come into play in that situation.

Orbax
01-17-2011, 09:37 PM
huh, guess i worded it more retardedly than I thought because that was exactly my question haha. It wouldnt be an issue if I could have seen through the terrain that the model was standing on.