PDA

View Full Version : Can you have more than one upkeep spell on a jack?

wargolem
01-18-2011, 03:17 AM
So can Strakov put Sentry & superiority on say torch? If so i would assume you could pay the upkeep on both?

Tsaimath
01-18-2011, 03:39 AM
No, you can't
One friendly upkeep per Model at any given time.
see Prime MK2 Page 78

Aetou
01-18-2011, 03:42 AM
No, you can't
One friendly upkeep per Model at any given time.
see Prime MK2 Page 78

Yep, no stacking friendly upkeeps.

wargolem
01-18-2011, 01:07 PM
thanks i was hoping that was wrong hehe was wanting to sentry and superiority my torch :)

NmoLvr
01-18-2011, 01:41 PM
A model or unit can have only one friendly and one enemy upkeep spell in play on it at a time. If another upkeep spell is cast on a model or unit that already has one from the same side—friendly or enemy—the older upkeep spell expires and is replaced by the newly cast one when the affected model is hit by the spell.

Just inserting the quote.

wargolem
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
What about different targets? Saw on the forums today someone said you can only have one instance of a spell active @ a time. So you could not cast superiority on 2 different jacks and upkeep them both?

DustyKB
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
No. You can only have one instance of an upkeep upkept at one time.

vintersbastard
01-19-2011, 02:17 AM
What about different targets? Saw on the forums today someone said you can only have one instance of a spell active @ a time. So you could not cast superiority on 2 different jacks and upkeep them both?

Casting an upkeep spell causes the earlier instance to instantly expire.

Halfhoot
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
More clarification...

When you cast an upkeep spell, if that same upkeep is on another model/unit from the same casting source... then it expires and the new target gets the upkeep spell. You can cycle an upkeep by casting it the turn before... then on the current turn you activate the unit that has it, do whatever, then activate the caster and put it on another model/unit causing it to expire on the first, but then you can activate the second and do whatever. Then repeat the next turn.

Please do note that this is upkeep spells! If the spell is not an upkeep then you can cast it on as many different model/units as you have focus for unless the spell specifically states that it can be cast only once per turn.

MagnustheJust
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
No. You can only have one instance of an upkeep upkept at one time.

There is a bit of dirty pool you can do here though... Spell Cycling!!

Activate the warjack with the upkept spell on it, then activate your warcaster - casting the spell on a second warjack. The first 'jack will lose the bonuses from the spell, but the second one with tear &#% up!!

Example...

Magnus the Traitor has two Renegades, one with Snipe on it. The Sniped Renegade fires it's Obliterator at High Exemplar Kreoss, scoring a direct hit and knocking him on his backside.

Magnus then activates, and cast Snipe on the second Renegade. Then the second Renegade nukes Kreoss... Game over man!

wargolem
01-21-2011, 03:27 AM
A model or unit can have only one friendly and one enemy upkeep spell in play on it at a time. If another upkeep spell is cast on a model or unit that already has one from the same side—friendly or enemy—the older upkeep spell expires and is replaced by the newly cast one when the affected model is hit by the spell.

What about teir lists that allow you to put upkeep spells on units before the models are set up. So long as you refresh the upkeep you are NOT technically casting the spell just upkeeping. I read the book and it says when you cast a new instance of the same upkeep it expires. Well these were never cast to begin with the units/models are allowed to start the game affected by upkeep spells per FoW khador teir lists for Evlad and strakov.

Kallas
01-21-2011, 03:56 AM
It is still that caster's spell, you just didn't gave pay to initially cast/upkeep first turn. As soon as the second instance is cast, the first (free) instance disappears.

As for casting on the upkept unit, you are placing a second upkeep on the unit.
It's not the casting that is restricted with upkeeps, its the persistence.

I've probably explained it wierdly...

wargolem
01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
nah you explained it just fine i just wanted my Teir lists to be more epic lolz. It is first sentence, second paragraph of the upkeep spells section page 78