PDA

View Full Version : Upkeep spells concerning control area and target of "Self"

Universal_Exception
02-07-2011, 05:36 PM
So i was reading up on upkeep spells so I can get back into the game after a lengthy bit of time not playing. Anyway I came across this sentence on pg 78 of the prime mkII warmachine book concerning upkeep spells:

"Likewise, an upkeep spell on one model expires if its unit is affected by a new upkeep spell from the same side."

Now this confused me a bit. At first I thought that your friendly units can be affected by an upkeep spell that targets them and a spell the caster has up with a range of self and control area, but after reading this i'm not so sure anymore.

With the word "affected" in that sentence it leads me to believe a unit that has, lets say Hand of Fate cast on it, will have this upkeep spell replaced if it is also in the control area of eVlad's Transference because they are AFFECTED by Transference now too. (or lets say a 2 caster game with Sorsha's fog of war and being in her control area)

Can anyone please help me understand what is the correct interpretation of this??

rydiafan
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
By "affected by" the mean the upkeep is on the unit. Simply benefiting from the effect of an upkeep this is not cast on them does not count.

Universal_Exception
02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
The way the wording is phrased leads me to disagree with you. To me gaining a benefit from a spell means it has affected the unit/model. I.E. they have something now (some benefit) from an upkeep spell that they did not have before it was cast, which means they are affected by it.

So if we go from there is it not safe to asume this new upkeep spell, which is affecting the unit by granting them a benifit will replace any other upkeeps already on them.

I would love further clarifcation on this with detail. Simply stating thats not how they mean it isn't helping, though i appreciate your input.

So any further explantion would really help me figure this out.

petegrrrr
02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
That's the issue. The sentences before the one you quote basically spells out that "Affected" means having an upkeep ON the unit.

I understand your confusion, but that's just how the rule works. Not everything can be broken down beyond simply "That's how the rule works".

Universal_Exception
02-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Thank you for your quick replies. I guess after being away for so long and reading through the book again made me question the way certain rules were worded. After some practice hopefully all will become clear again. :)