PDA

View Full Version : Mirage and upkeep

Tirrith
02-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Hi All,

Can someone clarify this for me. As I read it, Mirage occurs in the Control phase. Which means it occurs after you have to pay for its upkeep (assuming you cast it on the previous turn).

So to recycle Mirage, you would have to pay 1 in the control phase, let's say to move the Sentinels and then cast it again on something else, if that was your goal. This means your caster (who is Garryth in this situation) would have to spend 3 focus in one turn.

Am I doing this correctly or does the mirage effect occur before i pay for the upkeep?

Thanks.

DarkJeebs
02-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Mirage happens after you upkeep, so yes it technically costs 1 extra focus because you have to up keep it first before it happens.

Plebian
02-08-2011, 08:54 AM
That is not true. Mirage does not need to be in play. When you cast mirage, the unit gains apparition next turn. It does not lose it if you let Mirage expire.

Mastershake
02-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Thats not right, the unit will only have apparition if you choose to upkeep Mirage, and you choose to upkeep mirage before apparition activates. Theres no way around the spell eating a good bit of focus before it does anything (even more fun if your opponent has upkeep removal).

FearLord
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
That is not true. Mirage does not need to be in play. When you cast mirage, the unit gains apparition next turn. It does not lose it if you let Mirage expire.

This is wrong - Mirage is an upkeep that gives a model Apparition. When the upkeep is no longer in play, the model no longer has apparition. Models with apparition can be placed during your control phase. If a model does not have apparition at the point in the control phase that it can be used, nothing will happen.

Apparition comes under "all other effects that occur during the control phase" - step 4 as described on p.42 of Prime. Upkeeping spells is step 3. If you fail to upkeep Mirage at step 3, you do not have apparition at step 4.

Mod_Redphantasm
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM

This is not what the spell says:

Mirage 3 6 – – Yes No
Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Apparition. (During your Control Phase, place models with Apparition anywhere
completely within 2˝ of their current locations. If Mirage affects a unit, only models in formation can be placed.)

Mirage is an upkeep spell, if the upkeep is not paid, then the target model/unit no longer has Mirage and no longer has Apparition. Apparition resolves in the Control Phase, after upkeeping the spell. You must upkeep it to gain the bonus. If you do not, when it comes time to Apparate the unit no longer has Apparition, and cannot move.

And the Retribution players come down hard. :)

Laxen.
02-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Ye, that Garryth really have a bad spellbook. Could as well reduce it to Death Sentence and Gallows :P

SorenRoses
02-08-2011, 11:29 AM
correct me if im wrong but mirage happens after vengeance on sentinels right? because vengeance happens on the maintenance phase?

SorenRoses
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
i agree i think his spells cost to much...

Blaque
02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Discussion on the justification of the spell's costs, I believe, are going to be encouraged to be taken elsewhere. Just a heads-up.

And stuff.

Mod_Redphantasm
02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
correct me if im wrong but mirage happens after vengeance on sentinels right? because vengeance happens on the maintenance phase?

This is correct.

Tirrith
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys,
This is what I thought, so you have to pay for the upkeep for it to work. Still a good spell IMO.

Thanks again.