PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Tier Bonus

Maxus
02-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I did a search, and was probably using incorrect terms to find the answer my question, but can you put the same tier bonus on the same unit?

Example:
Calandra Truthsayer Tier 2 benefit is that for every two solos in the army, one trollkin unit gains +2 SPD during the first turn of the game.

If you have 4 solos in the army, can you give one unit, both benefits, so they would get +4 SPD during the first turn of the game?

Eglagrodion
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
My guess is not. i think tier bonusses must be seen as spell effects. but that is just my 2 cents.

Ruan
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Can't work like that. You can give one unit +2 SPD. Then you can give another unit +2 SPD. Rules-wise, reason why...

I dunno. I suppose it could fall under the idea that a unit cannot benefit from the same effect twice.

Thenmy
02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Actually, the way I see it, by RAW you could stack the bonus. You are allowed to stack multiple buffs of the same type on a target, except that effects with the same name don't stack. A tier bonus is not a named effect.

Halfhoot
02-09-2011, 07:26 AM
I seriously doubt a Tourney judge would allow it.

rydiafan
02-09-2011, 07:36 AM
A tier bonus is not a named effect.

The Theme Forces are named.

Mod_Redphantasm
02-09-2011, 07:37 AM
There's nothing to imply they would or should stack.

Maxus
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
If I have in a legal Calandra tier list, 4 solos (Fell Caller, SSC, Runebearer, Troll Whelps) and 1 trollkin unit (Pyg Bushwackers), why cannot say that the Fell Caller and SSC are giving the Tier 2 benefit (+2 SPD) to the Pyg Bushwacker unit and the Runebeaer and Troll Whelps are giving their Tier 2 benefit (+2 SPD) to the Pyg Bushwacker unit. This is a legitimate use of the Tier 2 benefit, does the Pyg Bushwacker unit benefit from both Tier 2 benefits?

I believe they may because of the lack of definition of what a tier benefit is in this particular case. Pg 85 in Primal MII says "If your army meets the requirements of a tier and the tiers before it, you gain the benefits listed". In this case the requirements are met, I have 4 solos so i can apply the benefit twice, in this case since I only have one legal unit for the benefit, there are 2 instances of +2 SPD, so it should be a total of +4 SPD on the first turn.

Now I agree that a Tournament Judge would just say "no that doesn't work", and it shouldn't work. But from a RAW standpoint, where can you say it doesn't it work? If you have multiple benefits, and one legal recipient, why doesn't the legal recipient get the multiple benefits? If you have multiple benefits, and multiple legal recipients, why can you not stack the multiple benefits on one of the legal recipients?

jonconcarne
02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
It's a benefit of the theme force, which is named. Named effects don't stack. Pretty simple I think.

Eglagrodion
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
maybe it helps if he quoted the exact wording of the tier.

Maxus
02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
It's a benefit of the theme force, which is named. Named effects don't stack. Pretty simple I think.

As far as I can tell, the benefit you get, is not an effect as defined in RAW. Its a benefit, not an effect and benefits are only defined as I stated on Pg 85

Maxus
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
maybe it helps if he quoted the exact wording of the tier.

Tier 2
Requirements: The army includes two or more Trollkin Solos.
Benefit: For every two solos in the army, one Trollkin unit gains +2 SPD during your first turn of the game.

petegrrrr
02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
How is it not a named effect?

Does it have a name? Yes it does. Whatever the name of Calandra's theme list is.

Does it have an effect? Yep, +2 spd to one unit.

So it has a name, it creates an effect...seems cut and dry.

Maxus
02-09-2011, 07:09 PM
How is it not a named effect?

Does it have a name? Yes it does. Whatever the name of Calandra's theme list is.

Does it have an effect? Yep, +2 spd to one unit.

So it has a name, it creates an effect...seems cut and dry.

Probably would have been better to reply to a person who seemed to not understand that its a Rule Priority issue, especially when it was pointed out earlier in the thread, and go "read this page on Rule Priority"

But it makes sense that after trying to find instances of effects and advantages and everything else the tier lists benefits give, that under pg 29 of Primal Mark II under Rule Priority it talks about named effects.

petegrrrr
02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Why would I ask you to do something someone else already did, which clearly still left your with questions? That seems counter productive.

Instead, I just pointed out that the theme does in fact have a name and in fact confer a benefit, and that you might just be over complicating a very simple issue. Did I misunderstand your question?