PDA

View Full Version : Journeyman Warcaster & Arcane Bolt

TheGrog
02-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Does the model really use it's focus stat of 3 to base attack rolls for arcane bolt? It seems that way, but it also makes it almost impossible to hit anything, so I'm wondering if there is an out I'm not seeing.

rydiafan
02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Yes it does. If you boost you might hit DEF 13. :p

TheGrog
02-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Time to start shooting my own models in the back to generate power tokens!

dancater
02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
The out is pretty much never to cast Arcane Bolt. The Junior is used for Arcane Shield and controlling Warjacks and in desperate times you have a RNG 12 Handcannon you can boost to hit off RAT 4 for a POW 12 boosted damage roll for the cost of 2 focus.
As for Arcane Bolt the only concievable reason to use it as opposed to the Handcannon is if you need a Magical Attack to hit the target, then yep its base 3 to hit for a 2 focus cast and you are pretty much guaranteed needing to boost the hit with the 3rd focus, but I guess yeah if it is something like an Incorporeal model that simply must die and that is all you got it is a chance if not a good one.

dancater
02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Just spam cast Arcane Shield to generate Power Tokens, if nothing else cast it on Junior himself and add to his survivability. If you take them for the Power Tokens for someone like Nemo then never upkeep Arcane Shield just cast it, drop it, cast it and this leaves a single focus for whatever, if you are not running a Jack most likely a more productive boosted Handcannon shot, its RAT 4 and POW 12 better in both ways to the Arcane Bolt and does not cost focus to cast.

sepher32
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't think the spell has to hit anything to generate the token.

TomTwice
02-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Use it on knocked down models or jacks with crippled movement: base DEF of 5 and 7 respectively. Hitting on 3s and 4s...

Pinegulf
02-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Some might argue that using the hand cannon with double boosts is more viable option. But that's OT. Sorry bout that.
Rule query has been answered.

Ramses0559
02-14-2011, 06:13 AM
I didn't think the journeymen was allowed to boost since its not actually a warcaster.

Edit, Just checked and yeah I'm pretty sure a Journeyman can't boost

(P.121) " This model is not a warcaster but has the following warcaster special rules: Battlegroup, Commander, Control Area, Focus Manipulation, Power Field, and Spellcaster.

Page 74 starts the list of what a warcaster can do. Battlegroup Commander, Commander, Fearless, Feat, Focus Manip, Power Field, Spellcaster, Control Area, Focus: (additional attack, boost, shake effect)

KujakuDM
02-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Old question asked before, but yes a journey man can boost and a lesser warlock can boost. Search for it its there.

vintersbastard
02-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Looking for rulings sometimes helps:

All of the 'Focus: Something' abilities are sub-abilities of the Focus Manipulation rule. Somewhere along the way paragraphs got moved around and this relationship was lost.

The Journeyman has Focus: Shake Effects, Focus: Boost, and Focus: Additional Attack.

Ramses0559
02-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Well that's good to know my friends the one who told me he couldn't, so I'm sure he'll be happy to know he in fact can.

And for the most part we only search rules where there's ambiguity, and honestly there isn't any in the rulebook on that. But the misplaced paragraphs are to blame for that.

nikon_62
02-14-2011, 07:36 AM
In desperate times if journeyman loses the jack he's controlling I use him to hold up a jack for a turn if Its going to change the outcome of a game. Otherwise he just keep arcane shield on something and gives focus to a jack.