PDA

View Full Version : Counter Charge Measuring Question

wargolem
02-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Ok so i have war dog that i include in a few of my lists. I am a relatively new player with not a lot of local action so games are few and far between. This being said, how/when do you get to measure to see if target is 6" from war dog? Do you:

a) Announce that you believe that the target model ended it's movement within 6" so you will attempt to counter charge & THEN attempt to charge and if it is NOT within 6" the CC fails and you could then activate return and move him towards your warcaster

or

b) announce that you think it is within 6" & you would like to check to see and measure & if not your doggie stays put?

Yurimow
02-15-2011, 03:14 AM
it's b (more or less): enemy model does it's movement, then you declare "countercharge!!!", measure if the enemy model is within 6". If it is not, countercharge didn't triggher, wardog stays where he is and the enemy model is safe to make it's action. If it is, the wardog countercharges.

What you are not allowed to do is something like that: enemy model does it's movment, you say "wait a second, it might be within 6" of the wardog!", measure if it is, and realizing that the enemy model actually is within 6" of the wardog, decide if you do the countercharge or not.

wargolem
02-15-2011, 05:59 AM
thanks, and i did see where if you countercharge a reach model that has room for doggie between it @ your caster you can trigger return and block the charge lane. That seems almost broken.

Kalranya
02-15-2011, 10:56 PM
thanks, and i did see where if you countercharge a reach model that has room for doggie between it @ your caster you can trigger return and block the charge lane. That seems almost broken. Perfectly legit tactic. It's saved Strakhov a couple of times for me.

That said, it's difficult to pull off since you have to get the angle precisely right, and it won't work against anything but a small base (assuming your 'caster is small based. It flat won't work for Butcher and Karchev).

It's more useful to block a potential charge lane for something else that hasn't activated yet.

Eventually my opponents are going to learn to just shoot the dog first. Sadly, I don't really have an answer for that one.

Northern Ronin
02-15-2011, 11:56 PM
b) announce that you think it is within 6" & you would like to check to see and measure & if not your doggie stays put?

This; If you are not within 6, Counter Charge is not triggered and you may not use it. Also keep in mind, because it is an optional charge, if you do not wish to advertise the distance (i.e opponent moves less important models in an attempt to bait the charge) you are not forced to measure until you wish to use it.

wargolem
02-16-2011, 06:17 AM
thanks for the clear and concise answers kommrades