PDA

View Full Version : Warjack Bonds: Allocate 4 focus!?!?

Terminal_C
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Upon reading the rules for Warjack bonds in the Warmachine MkII rulebook (appendix B) I have a question. The book states that Warjack's who are bonded to a warcaster can be allocated 4 focus, pretty sweet right? However, my question regards character warjacks. For example, the Cankerworm is bonded to Gaspy; does this mean that Gaspy can always choose to allocate up to 4 focus to the Cankerworm, even in non-campaign games? Or does this additional point of allocation only count for campaign games that are using the Warjack bonds rules.

I frequently run pGaspy with the Cankerworm (since they're such good buddies!) so this question rather perplexed me. Also, my interpretation of the rules is that since a Warjack can only bond to one warcaster the Cankerworm cannot bond to any caster other than Gaspy because he already has a bond. In addition, the Cankerworm may not roll on the bond table even if he was used with Gaspy because he already has an established bond. Is this correct?

infamousd
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes, he can roll on the table, as long as his affinity says Asphyxious on the card. HE cannot be bonded to any other caster besides the one listed in the affinity area, so you can't bond nightmare to venethrax. See pg 82 of your rule book.

Joeb
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm pretty sure Gaspy and Cankerworm can bond and give/get 4 focus in non-campaign games. It gets a little confusing when you have epic warcasters with built in warjack bonds and character warjacks though.

FearLord
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
There are 2 ways to bond a jack:

1) Optional campaign / league rules.
2) An epic warcaster bond.

Asphixious has no epic bond, so therefore can only bond with Cankerworm in League / campaign play. Character jacks cannot normally bond with any warcaster, however there are 2 specific exceptions - Affinity and Special issue which allow a character jack to bond to a specific named warcaster.

Cloud-Gatherer
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
There are 2 ways to bond a jack:

Asphixious has no epic bond, so therefore can only bond with Cankerworm in League / campaign play. Character jacks cannot normally bond with any warcaster, however there are 2 specific exceptions - Affinity and Special issue which allow a character jack to bond to a specific named warcaster.

This is all correct. For additional clarification, though, it is worth pointing out that Affinity and Special Issue ONLY override the restriction on whether character jacks/beasts are able to bond (default = no). They do NOT create a bond where one would not normally exist.

FearLord
02-15-2011, 11:54 AM
This is all correct. For additional clarification, though, it is worth pointing out that Affinity and Special Issue ONLY override the restriction on whether character jacks/beasts are able to bond (default = no). They do NOT create a bond where one would not normally exist.

Oh god yes - those abilities ONLY do what they say - they do not create bonds where they have not been created by one of the 2 methods described above.

Lanz
02-15-2011, 12:06 PM
To give an example...

Severius has both epic and normal variants, and has a character 'jack, the Blessing of Vengeance, which has Affinity: Severius.

Normal severius gets the effect of the affinity, and can bond with the Blessing of Vengeance, but only when a campaign/etc allows him to do so. The affinity alone doesn't allow for a bond. As mentioned, character 'jacks normally cannot bond, but because the Blessing of Vengeance has the Affinity rule with Severius, it can bond with him.

However, EPIC severius has an actual Warjack Bond rule on his card, which means that in any game, in or outside of campaigns, he can bond with any non-character warjack, which gains the +1 focus cap, and the rules detailed in his bond rules. Since the Blessing of Vengeance has afffinity with him, Epic severius can bond to that warjack in any game, even though it's a character warjack.

Hope that clears it up.

silverpuppy
02-15-2011, 02:08 PM
The first question seems answered clearly but the original op mentioned the bond table, to my understanding you only use the bond table for campaign/ special rule games and not for pick or tourneys correct?

RedWynd
02-15-2011, 02:15 PM
If all the players agree on it, no reason why not.

Mod_Redphantasm
02-15-2011, 02:38 PM
The first question seems answered clearly but the original op mentioned the bond table, to my understanding you only use the bond table for campaign/ special rule games and not for pick or tourneys correct?

The bonding tables are additional rules that may be put into effect for campaigns and leagues. They can be used for tournaments if the tournament organizer decides to.

Joeb
02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I guess I've been doing this wrong then. I thought I could bond the Nightmare with Denny in a non-campaign game because of the affinity.

Ok, so you are saying (per your example) - Prime Severius can never bond with the Blessing of Vengeance in a non-campaign game. But Epic Severius can bond with the Blessing in a non-campaign game allowing him to allocating 4 focus to the Blessing *and* giving him the effect of the affinity? (+2 damage for a spell channeled through the Blessing once per turn)

FearLord
02-16-2011, 01:43 PM
I guess I've been doing this wrong then. I thought I could bond the Nightmare with Denny in a non-campaign game because of the affinity.

Ok, so you are saying (per your example) - Prime Severius can never bond with the Blessing of Vengeance in a non-campaign game. But Epic Severius can bond with the Blessing in a non-campaign game allowing him to allocating 4 focus to the Blessing *and* giving him the effect of the affinity? (+2 damage for a spell channeled through the Blessing once per turn)

Yes. Affinity has an effect when the jack with Affinity is controlled by the warcaster named in the affinity rule. This gives the following 2 effects:

1) The rules of the affinity listed on the jacks card.
2) Over rides the usual restriction of character jacks that means they cannot be bonded.

The bond still has to be formed by one of the two methods:

In Severius's case, either version triggers the Affinity, so gains the effects and can form a bond with Blessing of Vengeance. As pSeverius has no epic bond, however, he is only left with forming it through the (optional) rules for forming a bond during league / campaign play.