PDA

View Full Version : pMagnus feat: Hit & Run

Iamspacemonkey
02-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone

New to Warmachine (probably 15 years since I played a miniature game) and have played a couple of games with my merc army now.

pMagnus feat says that models in Magnus battle group within his control area can make a full advance or run after every friendly unit have complited their activations. Is this just a movement bonus or does it mean that a Renegade also can shoot during the feat?

Is this legal?
a) Magnus pop feat
b) Renegade activate and run
c) Every friendly unit activates
d) Feat kicks in: Renegade makes a full advance (SPD) and then shoot

If d is legal my guess is that to hit can't be boosted since it is out of the Renegades activation, correct?

By the way, really enjoying the game.
Having trouble winning agains my friends Sloan list (all ranged attacks: Gun Mages, Black 13, Defender) though with my more close combat oriented list (Renegade, Mangler, Boomhowlers, Gorman/Kell).
If I'm offensive running my jacks forward as quickly as possible, I risk exposing my caster to her and the her units fantastic range. If I try being more cautious and shield my caster, my jack gets shot to pieces + the annoying Thunderbolt shots (pushing my shielding jacks away). Any advise?

TheUnknownMercenary
02-20-2011, 01:29 PM
The feat only allows his battlegroup (His warjacks and himself) to advance or run after all models in the army have finished their activations. So it would go like this:
a) Magnus activates does what he wants to during his activation, including using his feat.
b) the Renegade activates and makes its attack if it has something to attack and/or can attack.
c) Finish activating the rest of the army.
d) Feat now triggers and you can run or advance each model in the battlegroup. You can choose to run some and advance others or not move them at all. So you would choose to advance, run or not move Magnus and do the same for the Renegade, in any order you want. The feat does not allow the models to make attacks.

Point of Note: if a model makes an attack outside of its activation it cannot spend a focus to boost the attack unless it has an ability that allows it to do so.

Another Point of Note: Units have a specific game term in Hordes and Warmachine. Units mean a group of models that consist of a leader model and grunts aka trooper models. Alot of players that come over from other games sometimes makes this mistake.

Last point of Note: The rules forum is for just aksing rules questions if you have tactics questions or want to discuss tactics, you should try the Warmachine and Hordes forums, in your case, you want the warmachine forum and the sub-forum of Mercenary. Ask how to deal with Sloan there and you will get alot of help.

Mod_Redphantasm
02-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Summary: No, the feat gives you only a movement, not another activation.

Iamspacemonkey
02-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Last point of Note: The rules forum is for just aksing rules questions if you have tactics questions or want to discuss tactics, you should try the Warmachine and Hordes forums, in your case, you want the warmachine forum and the sub-forum of Mercenary. Ask how to deal with Sloan there and you will get alot of help.

Roger that.

Thx for the answer.

Krysus
05-14-2011, 11:09 PM
With the new ruling about a running model doesn't finish their activation, can they use the Magnus's feat at the end of the turn since they never technically finish their activation?

And an even more obscure way to read the feat would be if any model in the battlegroup runs then their activation doesn't end and it says when all models activations end the feat would work, meaning the feat never gets to occur?

This could be me misreading the new ruling on fast cavalry not being able to run then take their fast cavalry move.

Oniwasabi
05-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Light Cavalry movement (and a bunch of other things) were errata'd/clarified to occur at the end of the model's combat action. A model that runs still ends its activation (part of the definition of running I believe in the book) it simply never has a combat action.

TheUnknownMercenary
05-15-2011, 07:52 AM
With the new ruling about a running model doesn't finish their activation, can they use the Magnus's feat at the end of the turn since they never technically finish their activation?

And an even more obscure way to read the feat would be if any model in the battlegroup runs then their activation doesn't end and it says when all models activations end the feat would work, meaning the feat never gets to occur?

This could be me misreading the new ruling on fast cavalry not being able to run then take their fast cavalry move.

There is no such ruling about running models not finishing their activations. A model that runs immedaitely ends its activation after its movement.