PDA

View Full Version : Forests and LOS

Matt_The_Man
02-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Small thing came up in a game, rolled off for it after a minute or so.

A mercenary model was sitting in the woods, 2 inches from the edge. The woods stopped at a stone road, and then on the other side of the road was some more forest. My pistol wraith was 2 inches into that forest on the opposite side of the road.

Does the 3" LOS restriction for forests need to be continuous?

Alviaran
02-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Since the rulebook says 3" of forest, not 3" of a forest, I would say that if the LOS passes through at least 3" of forest across two forests, it will still be blocked.

bitmatic
02-25-2011, 12:54 AM
I would agree with Alviaran on this, the 3" can be spread out between 2 individual forests. Note, however, that you can not see completely through a forest - no matter how thick or thin it is. A 1" wide forest blocks LOS completely.

infamousd
02-25-2011, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE=bitmatic;743727Note, however, that you can not see completely through a forest - no matter how thick or thin it is. A 1" wide forest blocks LOS completely.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that. You can see 3 " into a forest, while in a forest you can only see 3" into a forest (if your standing in the center of 7" forest, you can't see out because its further). Now if you have a forest template less then 3 " you still can't see a model on the other side of the forest if your not in said forest, but if your standing in a 1" of forest, you can see out.

bitmatic
02-25-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm not so sure about that. You can see 3 " into a forest, while in a forest you can only see 3" into a forest (if your standing in the center of 7" forest, you can't see out because its further). Now if you have a forest template less then 3 " you still can't see a model on the other side of the forest if your not in said forest, but if your standing in a 1" of forest, you can see out.

I think we are in total agreement :-)

marijnh
02-25-2011, 02:24 AM

It's a little weird, but that's the way it works. You CAN look 3" into or out of a forest, but you CANNOT see through a forest (even if it's less than 3" across).

vaildin
02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Just to be a know-it-all, any model standing in exactly in the center of a forest that is a precise 7" diameter circle can see out in all directions, as it would be less the 3" to any edge.

NmoLvr
02-25-2011, 08:53 AM
This came up recently in another thread. See here: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?14485-Forest-and-LOS&highlight=forest

The rule is 3" of total forest. Does not matter if that comes from more than one forest.