PDA

View Full Version : CRA and movement

Lothlin
03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
When making combined ranged attack, say half of the unit stays put to get the aiming bonus but the other half has to move for some reason, is it true that the ones that stayed put can only combine with other models that stayed put, and vice-versa?

Basically that you can only CRA when all units in the combine have the same RAT?

It came up in a game over the weekend and I just took his answer (which was that they have to have the same bonuses,) but I got to thinking and that basically means my UA officer would never be able to combine because his RAT is naturally higher.

Valander
03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Models that moved may combine freely with models that did not move; you aren't limited in your grouping. Models in the same unit with the CRA ability do not need to have the same RAT in order to combine.

Remember, too, that the combining units must still have LOS and be in range, or they do not add to the benefit for the CRA. Also, if the model leading the attack does forfeit movement, it will gain the aiming bonus, even if other models that combine with it did not forfeit movement.

Riker1990
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
All modifiers are based on the main, attacking model. Also, it is the only one actually making an attack.

There are no restrictions about RAT during CRA. In fact, it is preferred to choose models with higher RAT to be the main model of a CRA attack, because all bonuses from CRA would be applied to that higher RAT.

Edit: Ninja'd

Mod_Redphantasm
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
The above are correct. The only things that prevent a model from participating in any CRA is that it must have the target in RNG and LOS.

Lothlin
03-16-2011, 12:51 PM
okey dokey then, I'll just make a note of it so I can hopefully convince him of the proper ruling next time we play ^^That pretty much covers it

Kallas
03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Also, ask them to show you how their ruling works. Not describe it, but display all the rules that they say make it their way.

By disassembling their logic, you can demonstrate the real rules much more accurately and will let them see the error themselves.