PDA

View Full Version : Attack Terrain?

CPFinnit
03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
A group of Menoth Warjacks under the Passage Song is standing on a bridge and a Khador Destroyer attacks the bridge with a Bombard.

Does the Bombard hit automatically and if so do units in the 3" AoE take blast damage?

Stevo
03-18-2011, 11:26 PM
The only way the Bridge could be targeted in the example you've given is if you were using rules for Structures (See Prime MK II page 88-89). You are prohibited from targeting the ground or permanent terrain features in Warmachine and Hordes (see Prime MK II page 56 under "Declaring a Target" second sentence).

CPFinnit
03-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Does the AoE automatically hit everything in its radius then?

Gnomish
03-19-2011, 12:29 AM
You cant attack the bridge. Blast damage will hit jacks under that passage song.

Stevo
03-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Please see page 58-59 of Prime MK II. Second paragraph under "Area of Effect (AOE) Attacks". Basically it says that a model hit by the AOE attack is "directly hit" and takes the full POW of the AOE attack while other models within the AOE take half the POW of the attack as Blast Damage.

When calculating Blast Damage, round up. Additionally, some effects which are AOE don't deal Blast Damage but they will indicate that with language like "all models within the AOE take a POW X damage roll" or something similar.

Agamemnon
03-19-2011, 06:30 PM
bridge related... does blast damage go over/around structures. If the bridge was the target can you pick a specific point for the hit (trusses or path area)? If the structure under the bridge was hit (trying to cause the bridge to collapse) would balst damage extend to the upper part of the bridge.

Basicly does blast damage have volume?

Dino-Czar
03-19-2011, 07:19 PM
AoE templates have always been considered infinite hight. I don't know about placing them on structures though.

Stevo
03-19-2011, 11:23 PM
bridge related... does blast damage go over/around structures. If the bridge was the target can you pick a specific point for the hit (trusses or path area)? If the structure under the bridge was hit (trying to cause the bridge to collapse) would balst damage extend to the upper part of the bridge.

Basicly does blast damage have volume?

Anything covered by the template is hit by it when its final location is determined either by hitting the target directly or deviating. It doesn't matter if part of the template is the corner of a one foot tall tower and part of it is over a model at table level. Both the structure and the model would be hit. Don't think of it as landing on top of the models, think of it exploding outwards at ground level and upwards. Anyone in that circle at any height is hit.

Halfhoot
03-21-2011, 07:03 AM
The only unanswered question here is that if you attack a destructible object like a bridge... where do you place the AOE template? I personally would say you place it exactly like you do when you place it on a model... find the center and put the AOE template there. For instance... you can't pick the side of a jack (or a battle engine when they come out) to have the AOE hit... you pick the center and measure from there. For a bridge on a direct hit center the AOE on the center of the bridge and anything in it would get blast damage.

DarkLegacy
03-21-2011, 07:35 AM
The only unanswered question here is that if you attack a destructible object like a bridge... where do you place the AOE template? I personally would say you place it exactly like you do when you place it on a model... find the center and put the AOE template there. For instance... you can't pick the side of a jack (or a battle engine when they come out) to have the AOE hit... you pick the center and measure from there. For a bridge on a direct hit center the AOE on the center of the bridge and anything in it would get blast damage.

It all depends on how the players work out the terrain. If they want "chunks" of the bridge to be blown up, it would center on that chunk. If it is the entire bridge that is destroyable as one piece, I'd center the AOE on the center point of the bridge.

NmoLvr
03-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Whether or not the bridge can be targetted and destroyed has to be decided before the game starts. The rulebook gives guidelines for ARM and hit points of such structures, but the players must decide ahead of time what is able to be destroyed and whether it is a whole piece or several smaller pieces. If you didn't decide before the game starts that the bridge could be destroyed and specify what its ARM was and the number of hit points it has, I'd say it is not a valid target.

Halfhoot
03-21-2011, 09:26 AM
That's correct but the main question here NmoLvr is that if it *is* a targetable, destructible object... and you shoot it with an AOE... where do you center the AOE for the point of seeing if anything gets caught by the blast damage of said AOE. Again I would say the center of the object.

Yea DarkLegacy I agree that if they subdivided the bridge into different targets that you could destroy then center the AOE on the part you target. But it amounts to the same thing... whatever it is you are targeting, pick the center of that to center the AOE template to determine what gets blast damage.

NmoLvr
03-21-2011, 09:45 AM
That's correct but the main question here NmoLvr is that if it *is* a targetable, destructible object... and you shoot it with an AOE... where do you center the AOE for the point of seeing if anything gets caught by the blast damage of said AOE. Again I would say the center of the object.

In that case I agree that the center of the targetted piece would be most likely the best answer. However, they could specify otherwise before the game started, too. Terrain is very customizable as long as you decide before play starts.

blue loki
03-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Generally, you divide a structure into sections and each section is separately targeted. You center the AOE on the targeted section. If individual sections are not defined, the structure is viewed as a single section and AOEs would be centered on the center of the entire structure.

vintersbastard
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
My advise would be that if an attack targets a structure, no AOE is placed. (Basically, the full force of the attack is absorbed.)
While this is not fully within the rules outlined in Prime, it prevents any 'funny' ways to circumvent targeting restrictions or deviation.