PDA

View Full Version : Influence question

TrePalle
03-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Hi,

I saw a situation occurring yesterday and I was not sure if it was legal, so I though of ask you guys. The question is;

Under the effects of the Influence spell can a Caster make the influenced model attack himself?

The rules for influence are:

Take control of a target enemy non-warcaster, non-worlock warrior model. The model immediately makes one normal melee attack, than Influence expires.

I am not sure if this question was already asked before but I can’t seem to find any threads related.

Thanks

chunky
03-23-2011, 02:15 AM
I think... Yes.

Coz the rule says "The model immediately makes one attack."

It didn't say "The model immediately makes one attack to the enemy"

Demeritus
03-23-2011, 02:18 AM
A model is never considered to be in its own melee range so it can not attack itself.

chunky
03-23-2011, 02:21 AM
On the second thought Tyrant Xuxa, did you mean the influenced model attack the caster himself or the influenced model attacked himself?

TrePalle
03-23-2011, 02:43 AM
the Influenced model attack himself.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear about it

Halfhoot
03-23-2011, 06:03 AM
No model can attack itself. I kinda wish they could as Ryan Mage Storming herself would be a pretty awesome cloud effect generator. :D

chunky
03-23-2011, 06:34 AM
yes they are correct, you can not self attack.

TrePalle
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks all for your replies.

If I may ask, can you please direct me to the rules which specify this so that I can show my other mates, that it can't be done. I tried to go through the rule book but I can't find any thing specific

Valander
03-23-2011, 11:36 AM
This should cover it:

A weapon's melee range extends 0.5" beyond the model's front arc for any type of melee attack. A weapon with Reach :Reach: has a melee range of 2".
Since it starts at the edge of the base, and extends outward, the model itself is not within its own melee range. This is further backed up by:

When determining the effects of a spell or ability that affects models within a specified distance of a model, the effect is a circular area extending out from the model’s base and including the area under the model’s base. Unless the spell or ability says otherwise, however, that model is not considered to be within the distance itself.

TheUnknownMercenary
03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Try page 50 Prime for the rules on Melee Range but to sum it up:
A model can only make a melee attack against a model in it's melee range and melee range is measure out from its front arc, which is measure from the edge of the base out to either 1/2 inch or 2 inches (reach) there is no way the model's base can be in the melee range.

TrePalle
03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks a lot guys you have been of great help :)

Unseen
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't get it.

Touching the edge is enough to be in an AOE.
Touching the edge is enough to be in control area.
Touching the edge is enough to be in command range.
Touching the edge is enough to be in melee. Unless you're just touching the inside edge?

Looks to me that going by their within defination that a model is within their own melee range(though just barely).

Valander
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't get it.

Touching the edge is enough to be in an AOE.
Touching the edge is enough to be in control area.
Touching the edge is enough to be in command range.
Touching the edge is enough to be in melee. Unless you're just touching the inside edge?

Looks to me that going by their within defination that a model is within their own melee range(though just barely).
This apparent disagreement is handled by the quote I added from p. 30, stating that for effects measured from the edge of a model's base, the model itself is not considered to be in that area. It works this way because it is specifically stated as being an "exception." Since you measure melee range from the edge of a model's base outward, it follows this rule.

Edit: Here's the relevant sentence:

Unless the spell or ability says otherwise, however, that model is not considered to be within the distance itself.
The rules for melee range do not state otherwise, so a model is not considered to be within its own melee range.

Unseen
03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Somehow I missed your post. Thanks to reclarificating.