PDA

View Full Version : A Weapon Crew Base Size Question

CovenantPhil
03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
This came up in a game recently. If my Thumper Cannon (which has Momentum) hits the leader of a Scather (Legion artillery), what happens?

Based on the rules that say the leader of the crew is treated as the same base size as the grunts, I would think he gets slammed by Momentum. However, that leads to another question. When he's moved by the slam, does he collide with things his large-size base would even though the Scather's grunts are small-based?

Even further, if he's treated as a small base and collides with a small-base grunt, does he stop moving? I would think that he would have to, as he would be stopped by the "equal or larger" portion of slam movement, because he's treated as a small base.

Cloud-Gatherer
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Unless there are limitations placed on being treated as the same base size as the Grunts, I'd say you treat the model that way for all intents and purposes, except for the actual physical footprint of the large base.

CovenantPhil
03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
So, when the leader is slammed, he needs to have his movement, collisions, etc. measured with an appropriately base-sized stand-in. In the case of the Scather I hit in my example, I should replace the leader with a small base, move it as normal, then swap it back to the large base and use the rules of least disturbance to fix things. Correct?

Gosslarr
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I do not believe you would replace the model with a small base. The reason he is on a large base in the first place is to represent that he takes up a larger area. The reason for the rule is for armor piercing (instead of halving the armor the weapon gets a +2 to damage), slams (if it slams a larger model size the distance moved is half), and other rules where the base size specifically affects things.

Aetou
03-23-2011, 12:31 PM
It's basically a 50mm base that is considered a small base in terms of how it interacts with other things (so slams, armour piercing, model volume/terrain, etc.) It remains 50mm, however, and you measure to and from the actual 50mm base in all circumstances.

CovenantPhil
03-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I think I was overcomplicating things. So it moves like a small base, but it's physically a large base. I think I've got my head wrapped around the dichotomy now.

Valander
03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I think I was overcomplicating things. So it moves like a small base, but it's physically a large base. I think I've got my head wrapped around the dichotomy now.
Yup, don't physically change the size of the base, just substitute the stated size when it matters for particular rules. So, though it is on a large base, it would stop moving if it contacted a small or larger base from a slam, throw, etc. Sounds like you got it figured out. :)

brotherscott
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Take into account that the base with the leader/ artillery on it is considered to be the same base size as the grunts in the unit.

In the case of the Thumper Crew, it would be considered a medium (40mm) base and not a small.