PDA

View Full Version : Storm Gunner Question

Big G
03-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm relatively new to warmachine and I'm a huge fan of my growing cygnar force. While looking through the book for which unit to pick up next I came across the storm gunner. The storm thrower's ability "Electrical Current" states that all attacks made by models in this unit automatically hit if they are against the same model hit by the storm thrower. The storm blades, however, have a base range 6 inches less than that of the storm thrower. My question is: Does the storm glaive blast still hit even if its range is short?

Prime states that if the range on a weapon is short then it automisses and in my head that takes presedence. On top of that is the obvious fact that a bullet can't travel farther than you can propel it. In this case, however, it is not a bullet, but an electrical bolt. The idea could be that a target damaged by the storm thrower is easier to hit because it has some kind of momentary cunductive charge, which could make it easier for the bolt from the storm blades to get there. I'm also thinking about AOEs. If they miss they don't go away, but deviate. Sometimes they deviate beyond there range.

This leads me to believe that a normal ranged attack made beyond the range of a weapon doesn't auto miss because the bullet can't get there, but because at that range the weapon cannot be feasibly aimed with any degree of accuracy. With this in mind, perhaps the idea is that is that the bolt would normally miss, but becuase the target was hit with the storm thrower it now draws in the bolt to itself.

What do you guys think?

FearLord
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
You are correct - missing for being out of range trumps auto hitting (which trumps auto missing for other effects) - check out the timing of the attack sequence on Prime p.245 for the why.