PDA

View Full Version : Question about Amon's Synergy

arkiboy
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Does the accumulated bonus expire when your turn end? or does it get carried over when you upkeep Synergy next turn? I often get this confused

Thanks

Yossarian78
04-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Synergy's bonuses are accumulated and applied for attacks occurring during the current turn. Upkeeping the spell allows only for the synergy chain to begin again with the first battlegroup model to make a successful attack.

arkiboy
04-10-2011, 09:29 PM
thanks, it was kind of strange since the rules didn't really explain it that way. over the weekend there was this player in our gamign circle who actually thought that you can carry over bonuses as long as you upkeep it. Thanks for clarifying.

jandrese
04-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Just to make sure it's clear, the bonus resets every turn. This matters because it does affect things like the Devout's Defensive Strike and freestrikes, but the Amon player has to start from 0 each turn.

bloodstrike
04-11-2011, 06:16 AM
As a side note, it can lead to interesting out of turn synergy chains if you have a couple devouts/blessing of vengeance. Since Synergy is still up, each Defensive Strike/Free Strike will give a +1/+1 to any that come after. Doesn't come into play very often, but it's something to remember.

Lanz
04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
As a side note, it can lead to interesting out of turn synergy chains if you have a couple devouts/blessing of vengeance. Since Synergy is still up, each Defensive Strike/Free Strike will give a +1/+1 to any that come after. Doesn't come into play very often, but it's something to remember.

Synergy only stacks up during your turn. It has no effect and doesn't build up on free-strikes or defensive strikes.

bloodstrike
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Unless there was a ruling on it somewhere, why wouldn't it? The bonuses last a turn, and the spell is an upkeep. As I see it, each player's turn the synergy chain is reset, just like all other effects with a duration of one turn, then because the spell is still in play and active, the chain can start building again.

That's the way I've always interpreted it. If it was ruled at some point the other way, I'll play it that way. I honestly don't think it's ever come up in one of my games as I don't usually take Devouts with Amon, but it would be good to know the official answer.

jandrese
04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Synergy only stacks up during your turn. It has no effect and doesn't build up on free-strikes or defensive strikes.

[Citation Needed]

Steamworks
04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
edit: nevermind, just delete this post.

Lanz
04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
[Citation Needed]

The spell says 'this turn'? Last time I checked the opponent's turn is not 'this turn'.

Ubik
04-12-2011, 12:08 AM
The spell says 'this turn'? Last time I checked the opponent's turn is not 'this turn'.

I think the claim is that the "this turn" affects the chain bonus total, not the ability to earn the chain. If you got multiple defensive hits or free strikes, the chain would start building again in the opponents turn. It would be reset at the end of your turn, but the spell would still be in effect in the opponents turn, allowing for a new chain to begin.

But I don't think that's how it is supposed to work. Even though it is upkept through the opponents turn, it's only when it hits your turn that it is 'recast', and the effect kicks in again.

I could be wrong. I'm not exactly an old hand at this game.

tiannor
04-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Just to get that right, you get a +1/+1 for every model that hits an enemy in melee, not for every hit. So if one 'jack (or Amon) gets to roll 4 defensive strikes during your opponent's turn, any other 'jack (or Amon) only gets +1/+1 on their defensive strikes, not +4/+4.

And IMO the chain resets every turn, so you can build up a chain in your opponent's turn as long as the spell is in play.

vintersbastard
04-12-2011, 01:50 AM

"This turn" references the turn that the attacks that contribute the bonus have been made.

Nothing in there says anything about that being limited to your turns.

Lanz
04-12-2011, 02:55 AM
"This turn" references the turn that the attacks that contribute the bonus have been made.

Nothing in there says anything about that being limited to your turns.

No, 'this turn' references the turn it was used, and upkeeping it reapplies it because nothing in the upkeeping rules dictates that the spell becomes any different. So every turn it's upkept is 'this turn'. The only way it would apply out of the caster's turn is if it said one round, which it doesn't. It's still only applying during the Menite player's turn.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is welcome to take it up on the rules forum, but I can tell you now, it only works during the caster's turn, and doesn't apply to free-strikes or defensive strikes.

Asheth
04-12-2011, 03:18 AM
If it said 1 round then the synergy bonus would not reset in the opponents turn meaning your single devout could defensive strike with the previous turns synergy bonus. I'm with Vintersbastard on this, though i have not the energy to take it to the rules forum. Also it does not state "this casters turn" only "this turn" meaning the turn during which the hit was made. When you pay the upkeep cost the spell is upkept for the round, otherwise you would have to pay a further focus in your opponents turn.

Pete_x
04-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Sinc ewhen does upkeeping "refreshes" a spell?!? all it does is allow you to keep it in play. Also there are no accumulated bonuses. There are figuratively but in fact it happens like this. Declare attack (yadiyada), checks how many other models in the battlegroup made succesfull attacks in that turn, apply +x/+x where x is that number.

jandrese
04-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Rules forum thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?59114-Synergy-on-your-opponent-s-turn).

bloodstrike
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Appreciate you posting it up in the rules forum jandrese.