PDA

View Full Version : Just to be sure about Jack Marshall and units

amazonwarlord
04-24-2011, 06:20 AM
so as not to necro the thread I am using as my base for the clarification I'll reference and quote it https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?59651-High-Shield-UA-Question&highlight=jack+marshall+units
(The example below is also true for units with a leader (not just a UA) with 'jack marshall)

The way it works now is that if a unit without a Jack Marshall (such as Arcane Tempest Gun Mages) has a UA with Jack Marshall attached, the unit as a whole gains the Jack Marshall ability. But any rules specific to that model beyond the basic Jack Marshall ability (such as Drives, etc.) are only available while the model with that ability on their card is the Marshall. Once he dies, while the Jack Marshall ability passes to his successor, the special Drives or Rune Bullet abilities do not.

So, the clarification is this:
This includes Sam and her Devil Dogs? If Sam is removed, the oppointed leader can marshall (but can not drive) the 'jack or 'jacks that were under her control, yes? I see nothing to indicate that Sam's unit should be different, even though it's a character unit (and this might be the only difference that makes a difference).

If so, I have been playing that wrong and so have the locals.

Hjelmen0
04-24-2011, 06:25 AM
This includes Sam and her Devil Dogs? If Sam is removed, the oppointed leader can marshall (but can not drive) the 'jack or 'jacks that were under her control, yes? Yes, that is correct. You'll want to read the subsection Units under ?Jack Marshals on pg. 80 of Prime Mk2. Quoted here for your extreme convenience:

Units
If a unit has the ?Jack Marshal advantage, the unit commander of the unit is the ?jack marshal.
If the unit commander leaves play, the new unit commander of that unit gains the ?Jack Marshal advantage and automatically becomes the controller of any warjacks previously controlled by the unit commander that left play.

Example: The Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer unit attachment has the ?Jack Marshal advantage. If the Officer leaves play, the Leader of the Arcane Tempest Gun Mage unit becomes the new unit commander and gains the ?Jack Marshal advantage.

amazonwarlord
04-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Yes, thank you. That is the section I read last night that prompted the question as everyone seems to think 'jack marshall dies with Sam.

edit - the reason for the post is the only difference with Sam and the Devil Dogs from the other units is it's a character unit. I am just making sure I'm not missing something that makes that relevent to 'jack marshall ability.

Paddywhack
04-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Hmmm. I too played this wrong. I thought the reference to the '..a unit with 'Jack Marshall...' was in reference to an actual 'unit' that has the advantage - such as Highshields. And that paragraph simply explains who is the actual 'model' at any given time with the ability for measuring cmd ranges for drives.

However the Arcane Tempest Gun Mages do not seem to have the ability themselves as a unit, so the example about their Officer leaving play and and the new commander getting the 'Jack Marshall ability means I have totally been reading that wrong. Thanks for pointing that out - very important for when I run Sam and the Devil Dogs.

Hjelmen0
04-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Being a character unit makes no difference. The rules in the section I quoted above makes no distinction between character and non-character units wrt. jack marshal.

If Sam is destroyed, the newly promoted unit leader will gain the 'jack marshal advantage.

TheUnknownMercenary
04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Hjelmen0 has the correct answer.