PDA

View Full Version : Ranking officers and Unit Leaders

yastobaal
04-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Forgive me but I don't have the rules for Ranking Officers to hand and I wanted to confirm some interactions. So I'm reading this thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?27705-Fires-of-Communion-and-Unit-Leaders&highlight=fires+communion) and it reads that when an officer such as Boomhowler dies the grunt is promoted to "unit commander" and not a leader.

So I'm wondering how this works with the Ranking Officers when they are put with a mercenary unit such as the Steelheads. The Ranking Officer is killed and is a grunt then promoted to unit commander or leader?

MaGoff
04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
One model in the unit will always be the designated Unit Commander. This is usually the model with "highest rank" and follows this order: Ranking Officer, Officer, Leader, Grunt, Other Trooper.

So, when a Unit Commander is destroyed or removed from play you check the above order and find the model with "highest rank"in the unit and this model is now the new Unit Commander. If there are more than one model that could become the new Unit Commander, the controlling player chooses which one.

Edit: And if a Grunt is chosen it is promoted to a Leader model as well.

TheUnknownMercenary
04-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Forgive me but I don't have the rules for Ranking Officers to hand and I wanted to confirm some interactions. So I'm reading this thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?27705-Fires-of-Communion-and-Unit-Leaders&highlight=fires+communion) and it reads that when an officer such as Boomhowler dies the grunt is promoted to "unit commander" and not a leader.

So I'm wondering how this works with the Ranking Officers when they are put with a mercenary unit such as the Steelheads. The Ranking Officer is killed and is a grunt then promoted to unit commander or leader?

In your example of the Steelheads, you would have the following models in the unit, for this example we have a base unit plus the Ranking Officer.
Ranking Officer, while in the unit is the officer and unit commander.
One Leader model, who while the Ranking Officer is in play is NOT the unit commander.
5 grunts.

Whenever the leader model is destroyed, you promote a grunt to be the new unit leader.

When the Ranking Officer is destroyed the unit leader becomes the unit commander.

A unit will always have a unit commander.