PDA

View Full Version : [Hordes MK2 Field Test] Trollkin Champion Hero - Tactician

Hjelmen0
11-25-2009, 06:09 AM
Hi'ya,

it's pretty simple: Does a Trollkin Champion Hero benefit from the Tactician[Trollkin Champions] rule?

I say no, because Tactician specifies "Trollkin Champions models", the "s" in Champions defining that it only affects model in "Trollkin Champions" units, and not all "Trollkin Champion models" (like the Hero).

Thank you

Laserbees
11-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Since it says Champions 'models' I think he would benefit.

Yoshi
11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
What about Horthol is a champion too, no?

Hjelmen0
11-25-2009, 08:25 AM
See, that's where I think the problem is, Laserbees.

Tactician says that it affects "Trollkin Champions model" which means "models in a Trollkin Champions unit" to me. Otherwise it should have said "Trollkin Champion models", meaning "all models of the Trollkin Champion type".

draxius
11-25-2009, 09:06 AM
See, that's where I think the problem is, Laserbees.

Tactician says that it affects "Trollkin Champions model" which means "models in a Trollkin Champions unit" to me. Otherwise it should have said "Trollkin Champion models", meaning "all models of the Trollkin Champion type".

I'm inclined to disagree. Multiple rules in Warmachine Mk.II are listed the same way - the criteria is based on what is in the brackets. To use Cryx as an example, you have [Satyxis], [Small-based Bane], [Undead Model], and several others. These keywords are based on the model/unit name, additional keywords on the card, and specific special rules for the model (i.e. Undead).

To use a similar example from the Warmachine rules, Stannis Brocker has "Tactician[Steelhead]", which affects all Steelhead models - including himself. Since every single one of these special rules affects individual models (not the plural form), the "s" at the end of "Trollkin Champions" seems to by a typo for the variable used to fill the card text, not an obscure method to exclude the solo from his own special rule.

What about Horthol is a champion too, no?
For purposes of this rule, no. "Trollkin Champions" are models with the term "Trollkin Champion" on their card as part of their name or keyword. If the rule was Tactician[Long Rider Champion], Tactician[Trollkin Dragoon], etc then it would apply to him, but does not in this case. Not that it matters much, as Tall in the Saddle will handle most of those scenarios.

Hjelmen0
11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree, if it's a typo, then it works, but as written, it only affects the Trollkin Champions unit.

I would just like confirmation on it, since it impacts the rule's usefulness, so we need to know which "version" to playtest.

draxius
11-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree, if it's a typo, then it works, but as written, it only affects the Trollkin Champions unit.

I would just like confirmation on it, since it impacts the rule's usefulness, so we need to know which "version" to playtest.

Hmm... you make a good point. As it currently stands, with the current wording, it would only apply to a card with "Trollkin Champions" on the card. Not that this would specifically restrict it to the one unit, except that it's the only card with that keyword at the moment.

Hjelmen0
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Exactly :)