PDA

View Full Version : WHelps timing and free strikes

spasheridan
05-10-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm curious about a timing I ran into tonight. I charged one of my dire trolls and had to take a free strike in the middle of a charge as the troll entered and left the reach of an opponent.

Where do I spawn the whelp?

Also, when can I eat the whelp I just spawned?

If I place the whelp before I finish the charge movement, can I eat the whelp before finishing the charge movement?

My next question is going to be how this would interact with a trample. I love whelps. :)

Thanks!

Maudlin
05-11-2011, 12:17 AM
A free strike happens just before the advancing model leaves the free striking model's melee range, and the whelp is placed immediately after this attack is resolved, based on that position.

You can use Alternate Food Source at any time you meet the conditions, but that excludes any time when you or another model are resolving a movement, attack or other effect. So, you can only eat it if it is still within 1" after you finish your movement (including charge movement), but not grab it along the way.

Free strikes caused by trample movement are resolved after the trample attacks (and consequently after the movement), so the timing is different there, but otherwise the same rules apply.

Does that leave any questions?

spasheridan
05-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Nope, that works for me. Thanks!