PDA

View Full Version : is damaged by

wazatdingder
05-11-2011, 05:33 PM
This is a bit of a tender spot for me, but since it has been ruled that even though Seige's feat reads that it activates when a models suffers damage, the effect takes place before damage is rolled, does the same rule apply to all "damaged by" effects? Does this also apply to "models hit" in the same way as Blessed actually takes effect before the hit takes place? Or are these just illogical rules that defy the language in which they are written and the timing appendix that is there to clearify the these issues?

I'm not trying to lawyer here, I am just trying see if these are the only rule that seem to defy the logical way in which all the other rules are written.

Seracain
05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
As far as I can see there is a small rules conflict in the rulebook. On page 65, it states in reference to damage rolls 'Compare this total against the Armor (ARM) of the model suffering the damage.' Which means a model counts as suffering damage before you compare ARM, and regardless of if you exceed the armor stat.

But it also states on page 245 on the Timing Appendix that it is in step 11, Damage Application (on its sub step 2), that effects trigger off of 'suffering damage'. This step is after recording damage.

I suspect the sub step is incorrectly placed, but that is speculation. I base this on Siege's feat working on the damage roll, and page 65.

Edit: Siege's feat for reference:

Breach - The next time each enemy model suffers damage while in Siegeʼs control area, halve its base ARM when calculating damage from the damage roll. Breach lasts for one turn.

Maudlin
05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
It might be more formally correct if it said "when the damage roll exceeds the ARM of the model hit" instead of the shorthand "damages", but I think the intent and application of the rule is clear.

The reference is the timing appendix.