PDA

View Full Version : From one Sucker to another

iLXeNk
05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
If you have two models each with Sucker near enough to one another how does the ranged attack work? Does it keep bouncing between the two of them until the attack finally misses (assuming this is not an AoE ranged attack)? I ask because I read that Sucker is a mandatory reaction to being hit by a ranged attack.

If your Character is within 5" of the ranged attacker but Sucker a model that has stealth and is outside 5" does the hit automatically miss because of the difference in range?

Valander
05-12-2011, 02:34 PM
If you have two models each with Sucker near enough to one another how does the ranged attack work? Does it keep bouncing between the two of them until the attack finally misses (assuming this is not an AoE ranged attack)? I ask because I read that Sucker is a mandatory reaction to being hit by a ranged attack.

Sucker will cause the other model to be directly hit (automatically). I suppose you could wind up in an infinite loop if you had two models with Sucker in each other's range. My guess on how that would be resolved is that each model would only be able to use Sucker once for a given attack.

If your Character is within 5" of the ranged attacker but Sucker a model that has stealth and is outside 5" does the hit automatically miss because of the difference in range?
No, because things that cause automatic hits (which Sucker would do on the transfer of the hit) trump things that cause automatic misses:

If one rule causes an attack to hit automatically and one causes it to miss automatically, the automatic hit takes precedence over the automatic miss. It further gives an example that specifically mentions Stealth.

iLXeNk
05-12-2011, 07:39 PM
No, because things that cause automatic hits (which Sucker would do on the transfer of the hit) trump things that cause automatic misses:

It further gives an example that specifically mentions Stealth.

:confused: Yes, I apologize I've read that several times but my brain just didn't put the two together haha.

Sucker will cause the other model to be directly hit (automatically). I suppose you could wind up in an infinite loop if you had two models with Sucker in each other's range. My guess on how that would be resolved is that each model would only be able to use Sucker once for a given attack.

Yeah I guess it could be assumed but since I couldn't find anything on it (no limit stated for Sucker and no search turned up this question) I figured I would rather get a ruling on it than have it down to a guess.

If this model is directly hit by an enemy ranged attack, choose a friendly living non-incorporeal warrior model within 2" of it to be directly hit instead. That model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects.

I quoted the Sucker info because I was a bit mislead in my original post as I didn't have my book to remember about the auto-hit. However since this isn't an auto-hit overrides auto-miss like my Stealth question and the fact that Sucker specifically states that if the model is directly hit by a ranged attack it must choose another model if a legal one is within range and that model is directly hit. So yeah potential infinit loop since it is an automatic hit unless the second Sucker can't negate the first Sucker.

I was hoping to get a more definite understanding but I guess for now I will go with Sucker is once per ranged hit meaning A would take the hit since A relegates to B and B must relegate that hit back to A. *EDITED this sentence, originally I used the term damage but the correct term should have been hit.*

I appreciate your response Valander.

Maudlin
05-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Yeah I guess it could be assumed but since I couldn't find anything on it (no limit stated for Sucker and no search turned up this question) I figured I would rather get a ruling on it than have it down to a guess.
There is a 2009 ruling that says no chaining of Sucker/Sacrificial Pawn/etc, but this is currently under review and will possibly (not unlikely) be reversed.

Watch this space...

Maudlin
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Answer is that chaining is allowed; however the same attack can only be 'sucker'ed once by each model with Sucker.