PDA

View Full Version : Animus question - same animus on multiple targets at same time?

gmorf33
05-12-2011, 09:36 PM
We had a rules question come up tonight that in the rush of things, couldn't find in the book, nor on ibodger's rules references. I also searched through this forum just now and wasn't able to find exactly the answer i was looking for. After reading similar questions here in the forums, i'm starting to think i was wrong, but I want to be 100% sure.

The situation was.. opponent was playing Legion and was running pThags with Typhoon. Is he allowed to have Typhoon's animus up on both, applied through the normal method of, force Typhoon to put on himself, then Thags cast it as a spell on himself, giving both of them the auto 3 damage healing when hit?

For some reason I have always thought (and play this way myself) that you can only have 1 instance of a given animus up at any given time, and if you do put the same name animus on another target, the existing instance of it expires. Meaning in this situation, Typhoon's would expire as soon as Thags cast it on himself. Is that not correct? I thought this was the whole concept of "juggling" animii. Otherwise your warlock can just chain out a killer animus on as many eligible targets as he wanted (with enough fury) which seems broken IMO. Like Mohsar putting Primal on 3-4 beasts, for the ultimate alpha strike or lightning strike on the same 4 for some nasty hit and run tactics.. or other crazy things you can think of (i have a bunch running through my head right now if this turns out to be the way it works).

So... if anyone can clarify this for us, that'd be awesome. I might be redoing my strategy/activation orders :D

Alviaran
05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Nope. You can have multiple instances of an animus in play. The catch is that a beast can only ever force for its animus once per turn, so generally if you have multiple cases of it out there, it is your warlock doing the casting. When my friend does Legion Battlebox games, Lylyth uses Tenacity five times in rapid succession.

What you are thinking of are upkeeps. An upkeep spell can only ever have one instance of it in play at a time. Similarly, if a spell is not an upkeep (such as Deneghra's Ghost Walk) then it can be cast on multiple targets as well.

gmorf33
05-12-2011, 09:46 PM
wow, thanks for the clarification! This definitely changes my turn strategies!

blitzmonkey
05-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Side Note: You don't auto heal 3 points from Typhon's Animus, Excessive Healing. You only auto-heal 3 when you force Typhon to Regenerate.

Maudlin
05-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Answers are correct.