PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeal spellcasting

kungfubob
05-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Had a rules disagreement in the game store the other day while I was playing eDenny, and I needed a second opinion.

The rules for incorporeal state:
"When this model makes a melee or ranged attack, before the attack roll is made it loses Incorporeal for one round."

The rules for magic attacks state:
"Magic attacks are similar to ranged attacks and follow most of the same rules but are not affected by a rule that affects only ranged attacks."

There is more, mostly things that affect magic attack rolls, but i don't want to sit here and write down the whole chapter on spells. It seems to me that what the rules say is that Magic Attacks are distinct from Ranged Attacks, though they are similar in many ways. For the purposes of the Incorporeal special ability, a spell caster can cast an offensive spell and still remain incorporeal.

This seems to mean I can go incorporeal with eDenny, unload with my offensive spells, and still be safe from reprisal against everything without magic weapons the next turn. If I'm wrong let me know, but just reading the rules this seems to be the case.

Alviaran
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
You are correct. Very specifically, you lose incorporeal only when making a MELEE or RANGED attack. MAGIC attacks are indeed similar to Ranged in that many of the same modifiers affect them, but are distinct. There are many abilities (such as Force Barrier) which affect Ranged attacks but do not affect Magic attacks.

So Deneghra can cast all she wants and remain Incorporeal.

DeathInFrance
05-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Holy poop! That seems broken, but in that "I want to find a way to beat it without PP changing the rules," kind of way. Good thinking KFBob, I know a Cryx caster that will undoubtedly want to use this.