PDA

View Full Version : jump and bounding leap

the godfather
05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
i seek answers for these two questions.

JUMP AND BOUNDING LEAP
1 (the simple one) Do the opponent models in the jump/bl path get free strike when leaving their melee range?

2 If i get to the back side of models via jump/bl, can i strike in rear arc? Cuz my friend said u always look att the facing of the model when the move begins for determing which strike arc. But since its a jump, i beg do differ..

edonil
05-18-2011, 11:52 PM
1. No, you don't take free strikes from place effects.

2. No, normal rules for facing and arcs and back strikes still apply, jump doesn't change it.

the godfather
05-19-2011, 12:13 AM
so even if i land in their rear arc i strike vs front arc?

THEMONK
05-19-2011, 12:34 AM
No you strike at the rear arc, for so an enemy model does not gain a shield bonus for instance. But you do not get the back strike +2 bonus when you started your activation in the model frontarc or during your activation at any point entered the models frontarc.

gmorf33
05-19-2011, 06:57 AM
While on the topic of jump... I had a disagreement with our local PG on this. Jump is a placement effect correct? So u should be able to land anywhere CW 5", right? Including over obstructions.. He argued that obstructions are considered to go up endlessly mechanically, so you couldn't jump over a building. I argued that "jump" is just a fluffy term, and it works like any other placement, like teleport, etc.

Which is correct and how do I argue/explain this ruling if I'm right?

Ignacious
05-19-2011, 07:41 AM
An obstruction is a terrain feature at least 1" tall or greater, such as a high wall or gigantic boulder. A model cannot move through or climb an obstruction. *SNIP*

Sometimes a model is placed in a new location as a result of an ability or spell. When a model is placed it is not considered to have moved or advanced. *SNIP*

Emphasis on second quote is from the original text, removed unnecessary text as well.

While not a definitive answer, it seems to point that the only thing an obstruction stops is movement/advancing (and climbing, but irrelevant here) which is specifically stated to not be happening for placement effects.

~Iggy~

Blaque
05-19-2011, 11:37 AM
As an aside, this should probably be in the Rules forum.

And stuff.

Not Dice
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Thread moved to Rules.

Macallan
05-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Jump cannot place you in an obstruction or in impassable terrain.

blue loki
05-20-2011, 03:54 AM
Right, but gmorf33 is asking if you can be placed from one side of such terrain to the other.

e.g. There is an obstruction that is 3" by 3" by 24" tall obstruction (a tower). The model makes a full advance into base contact with the obstruction and then uses Leap to place itself on the opposite side. This should be legal as the obstruction does not inhibit place effects.

Macallan
05-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Ah right, jump is not a jump. There is no jump. There are place effects so yes you can.