PDA

View Full Version : Kayazy + Free Strike + Backstab

mecra
01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok, this might be a newbie question but I ask because the wording is a tad confusing.

It says that Free Strikes don't receive Back Strike bonuses yet they still get the +2 attack bonus just because it's a Free Strike.

Kayazy Assassins have Backstab which is an additional die to back strike damage rolls.

Do the Kayazy get the Backstab damage bonus on Free Strikes since they are supposed to be in the back arc, or does the Kayazy need to start it's activation in the back arc to get Backstab damage bonuses.

I'm assuming that they get it, but I just wanted to make sure since the wording says Back Strike bonuses indicating plural which might mean other types of bonuses like damage. Thanks!

Stevo
01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
You need to begin your activation in the target's back arc to gain any bonuses for back strikes. You can't combine Back Strikes with Free Strikes. Thanks to Bladestorm for making me check the actual rule!

See page 61 in Prime MK II. Last sentence in that paragraph.

Bladestorm
01-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Back strikes only occur during a model's activation - they can never apply to free strikes.

Or that's what I come away from the back strikes section in the rulebook with anyway.

Weaselcreature
01-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Stevo and Bladestorm have it. While a freestrike is always in the targets back arc, to perform an actual backstrike, as per the specific game-term, it happens in your activation where you begin and end your activation in the targets back arc.

Verdigris Zombie
01-14-2010, 08:08 AM
So here's a question - do Magnus et al. get their bonus die of damage on freestrikes?

VZ

Stevo
01-14-2010, 08:35 AM
No, because a backstrike only happens during the backstriking model's activation. There would have to be some way of causing they target to generate a free strike for Magnus during Magnus' activation.

blue loki
01-14-2010, 08:36 AM
page 51:

Free strikes do not benefit from back strike bonuses.

Magnus card:

Backstab - This model gains an additional die on its back strike damage rolls.

Backstab does not trigger since the model does not benefit from back strike bonuses.

Stevo
01-14-2010, 08:54 AM
That indicates that a Backstrike doesn't get the noraml +2 to hit in addition to the Free strike +2 to hit. That is the only Back Strike Bonus. Back Stab is an ability that triggers on any Back Strike. It's not a "bonus".

I can't conceive of a turn of events that would cause a model to be moved away from Magnus during Magnus' activation that would generate a Free Strike to begin with. If that happened, Magnus would get +2 to hit for the Free Strike, he would NOT get a +2 to hit for a Back Strike, and if he hit his damage roll would be boosted and have an additional die of damage.