PDA

View Full Version : Cover as it relates to walls

ryandebraal
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Hello,

I am a new player, having read Mk I and now assimilating mkII - one thing that has always confused me is what exactly counts as Cover?

Sure a stone wall is obviously something that a unit can hide behind, if it's positioned 1" away from it (simulating the model ducking behind cover when it's fired upon)

but what about long, unobstructed walls like the sides of a cliff?
Some of the terrain we use is simply 1" plateaus of painted Styrofoam that the model can climb up on, but how does that effect range attacks when both models are on the ground and a model is simply standing next to a stone plateau that might go on for several inches?

It doesn't appear to provide any actual "cover" but the rules don't explicitly say a unit must be able to hide it's LOS from an attacker, only that it gains cover when within 1 inch of a terrain feature 1" or higher

Some clarification would be most helpful

Dino-Czar
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
The wall needs to obscure the targets base for it to gain cover. Take another look at pg 57 in your MK II book.

ryandebraal
01-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Ah, thank you! - but to add to that, it actually says anything obscuring it's volume, so a branch in his face is concealment, but a gargoyle statue's tail would be cover.

Does this mean any LOS line drawn between two models, that passes over or through terrain that would grant Cover or Concealment, or does it mean simply by proximity they have the additional defense?
Ie, a model is aiming at a warjack with a tree directly behind it, is that a clear LOS or is it concealment?

TheUnknownMercenary
01-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Ah, thank you! - but it's actually anything obscuring it's volume, so a branch in his face is concealment, but a gargoyle statue's tail would be cover.

Thank you, its all coming together ^^

For concealment it is any portion of it's volume (pg57) but for cover it is any portion of it's base (pg58).

Now as far as what a terrian piece actually does as far as game rules, that just all depends on what the players invlove all agree on.