PDA

View Full Version : Scramble questions

terryocarroll
01-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Does movement caused by Haley's Scramble spell trigger free strikes? It says "advance" and according to the rules, advancing will trigger free strikes. So I'm assuming it does, but IIRC in the MkI edition there was a lot of stuff about "voluntary vs involuntary movement" and so on.

Also, what happens if the scrambled 'jack is holding another 'jack in a lock? It says that a 'jack holding another 'jack in a lock may not advance, but also that "effects which cause a model to move" break a lock. Is scramble's effect an "effect which causes a model to move" for the meaning of this rule?

So basically, if a 'jack is holding one of my 'jacks in a lock and it gets scrambled, does it drop the lock, walk away and give my 'jack a free strike?

TheUnknownMercenary
01-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Yes you can make free strikes and yes the lock is broken because the model moves away. See page 52 of Prime.

A lock is broken automatically if: An effect causes either model to move or be placed.

vintersbastard
01-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Allthough a lock will be broken by an effect that causes either model to move, neither of them can move/be moved due to an advance or a push. (See p. 52, in the sentence right above the one quoted by TheUnknownMerc)

Scramble therefore simply has no effect at all on locked jacks.

terryocarroll
01-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks vintersbastard, I am seeing the logic there. At first I thought those two sentences were directly contradicting each other, but now I see that Scramble causes the 'jack to attempt to advance but fails due to the lock preventing it.