PDA

View Full Version : Point of origin

whats82
01-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Just checking for an unresolved issue because I'm not sure if I missed a ruling somewhere.

Point of origin states that a model is the point of origin. However a model is an area and not a point, so how do we deal with models that are 'mostly' in another model's back arc for things like back strike and shield ?

Backstrike state that the point of origin must be in the back arc the entire time.
Shield says does not benefit when resolving attacks origin from its back.

Also, imagine a line of shield walled units, for simplicity say a single, horizontal line, and all the models are tilted toward the right, if a chain lighting spell hits the left most model, who is partially in the front arc of his next buddy but mostly in the backarc of said buddy, does the chain lighting arc ignore shieldwall ?

Thanks.

Hjelmen0
01-16-2010, 09:52 AM
"The unresolved issue" was in this thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=3773), right?

Macallan was not sure what the point of origin for a melee attack was, especially with regards to back strikes and shield walls, so he said he would check... He never did answer though.

whats82
01-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Yes, that was the one I was referring to, don't remember the name so I couldn't find it.

Ok, I'll go back to waiting.

Drillermaniac
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
This would be my guess. Origin means the entire base of the model; eg, backstrike will only be give if the complete base (point of origin) is in the back arc. Point is just a really large point. :)

Hjelmen0
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
That was my guess as well, but as Macallan pointed out in the linked thread, being entirely in the back arc of the target is no longer a requirement ... He really confused the hell out of me, because what exactly is point of origin of an attack then? Center of the attackers base? the line which was drawn for LoS? *shrug*