PDA

View Full Version : Fear and unit formation

Peg leg Pete
06-28-2011, 05:01 AM
this came up at my game lat night.

two members of a unit of wintergaurd were out of formation on the far side of a wall when they got charged by a fear-causing unit. The rest of the winterguard were next to my warcaster.

We were not sure if the entire unit had to make a fear check, or just the two who were out of formation, or who's command to use for the check.

we made a quick rule at the table that the two winterguard would be treated similar to solos since they didn't have the support of their whole unit and rolled their fear checks individually using their personal command stats, but it would be good to know the official ruling on cases like this.

thanks!

quindraco
06-28-2011, 05:05 AM
The unit takes the check, not the individual model, and any member can be close to the caster if you'd like to use the caster's cmd instead. Similarly, if not close to the caster, you always use the leader's/officer's cmd, not the individual model's.

Llaelese Freedom Fighter
06-28-2011, 09:28 AM
In most cases, troopers make command checks at the unit level. Some exceptions include troopers who are out of formation and spells that specifically target single models.

When and how does this apply?

I've honestly never had this come up and I can't figure it out from the page. It's clear that if a unit fails a command check that every models suffers the effects, including the out of formation troopers. And it's clear who's CMD to use when a spell targets a single model and that model happens to be a trooper.

It makes sense that this would be a command check that is made at the unit level and, if at least one trooper is in your Warcasters CMD, you would use your caster's CMD.

Trollicious
06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
pg 84 states:
"In most cases, troopers make command checks at the unit level. Some exceptions include troopers who end their activations out of formation and spells that specifically target single models."

There is a specific command check that a member of a unit takes if it ends its activation out of formation. This is a very specific command check and is taken individually. Look up the rule under unit formation on pg 71.