PDA

View Full Version : Blast damage from AOE - still ranged damaged?

kibbles
06-30-2011, 05:08 AM
This came up last night while playing with Ossyan and while there's another thread that seems to give an answer its not clear.

Put simply, is the blast damage from a ranged AOE (Stormfall Archers in this case) still considered "ranged attack damage" and therefor able to benefit from Ossyan's feat? Or is only the direct hit?

Mastershake
06-30-2011, 06:13 AM
As far as I can tell, blast damage is just a damage subcategory to differentiate between it and the POW hit models directly hit take. I can't see a reason why Blast damage would lose the attack type of the parent weapon (magical, ranged or in rare cases melee). I could be wrong though.

kibbles
06-30-2011, 06:19 AM
As far as I can tell, blast damage is just a damage subcategory to differentiate between it and the POW hit models directly hit take. I can't see a reason why Blast damage would lose the attack type of the parent weapon (magical, ranged or in rare cases melee). I could be wrong though.

That's actually how I read it as well but the fact that the rulebook had blast damage bolded threw us for a loop. I ended up agreeing with the ruling that it was its own category and therefor not able to benefit from the feat.

I'd love a purple response to this because with Ossy this is hugely important.

Nickster
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
I have always played that range attack damage is when directly hit. Blast damage is always taken unless the rule says Model Does Not Take Blast Damage or Immune to Blast damage.

currentlyunknown
06-30-2011, 06:33 AM
I pointed this out in the other thread, but...

There is a difference between "ranged weapon damage roll" (p 56), "blast damage roll" (p 59), and "ranged attack damage rolls" (p 106 wrath, ossyan's feat and undefined as best I can find in the rules). Personally, the latter seems broader and more inclusive.

Vex
06-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Prime MkII - Page 58 - "A ranged attack with an AOE is a ranged attack."

Prime MKII - Page 59 - "Every other model with any part of its base covered by the AOE template is hit, but not directly hit, by the attack..."

Therefore, if a model is hit by an AOE generated by a ranged attack, that model has been hit (but not directly hit) by a ranged attack.

kibbles
06-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Prime MkII - Page 58 - "A ranged attack with an AOE is a ranged attack."

Prime MKII - Page 59 - "Every other model with any part of its base covered by the AOE template is hit, but not directly hit, by the attack..."

Therefore, if a model is hit by an AOE generated by a ranged attack, that model has been hit (but not directly hit) by a ranged attack.

I'd agree based on that you could infer that AOE blast damage originating from a ranged attack is ranged damage but it's still not clear - that first rule can be interpreted as just saying that AOE ranged is not its own damage type.

I think the question on blast damage is still out there. Believe me, I would LOVE to have a concrete ruling that AOE blast damage from a ranged attack is "ranged attack damage" for Ossy's feat because suddenly Stormfalls, Phoenix and all our other ranged AOEs become sick on feat turn.

Mastershake
06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
I'd agree based on that you could infer that AOE blast damage originating from a ranged attack is ranged damage but it's still not clear - that first rule can be interpreted as just saying that AOE ranged is not its own damage type.

I think the question on blast damage is still out there. Believe me, I would LOVE to have a concrete ruling that AOE blast damage from a ranged attack is "ranged attack damage" for Ossy's feat because suddenly Stormfalls, Phoenix and all our other ranged AOEs become sick on feat turn.

Wait a minute, didn't they rule on Rahn's feat that the Blast Damage from Chain Blast was considered a "Magic Attack Damage Roll"? Isn't Ossyan's feat identical wording except for subbing in "ranged" for "magic"? Call me crazy, but I think the Infernals have already ruled on this one.

kibbles
06-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Wait a minute, didn't they rule on Rahn's feat that the Blast Damage from Chain Blast was considered a "Magic Attack Damage Roll"? Isn't Ossyan's feat identical wording except for subbing in "ranged" for "magic"? Call me crazy, but I think the Infernals have already ruled on this one.

Awesome I found it!

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?50952-Rahn-and-Bethayne-s-Feats-Eruption-of-Spines-and-Chain-Blast&p=708659&viewfull=1#post708659

In the first link the key word is "also":

"Just like with a ranged attack AOE. All the damage rolls would be "ranged attack" damage rolls, and those ones that did not directly hit would also be "blast damage" rolls. "

and

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?50952-Rahn-and-Bethayne-s-Feats-Eruption-of-Spines-and-Chain-Blast&p=739126&viewfull=1#post739126

Reading that, Ossy's feat just got crazy good. That shows that blast damage originating from a ranged AOE is a sub-type of ranged damage. And the second post concurs (in the case of Chain Blast at least which can be applied here).

I would say that pretty much wraps it up. Wow - that list I brought is even more crazy now with Ossy, Hypnos, Banshee, 2x Stormfall and Invictors.

Kuratla
06-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Similar to a Hot Shotted Mule. Hot Shot boosts ranged damage rolls. If the target (a Mule, in this case) uses an AOE, all damage rolls under the template are boosted.