PDA

View Full Version : 360 degree LOS and 2h Throw.

miker1
07-09-2011, 03:15 PM
If you have 360 degree LOS can you throw a model "backwards". I.E. from in front of the model throwing to behind it - an overhead throw?

Crate123
07-09-2011, 03:36 PM
No, the model would end up hitting yourself if you tried it.

Valander
07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
You must throw in a direction that is away from the throwing model. If you pick a direction that would cross your base, that is not "away."

miker1
07-09-2011, 04:12 PM
No, the model would end up hitting yourself if you tried it.

I bet you can throw it MUCH further than trying to push/throw it away from you! :>}

With the former you are using your body as a fulcrum.

Not arguing the "Can't do it" just pointing out that its easier to throw backwards than forwards AND you won't hit yourself.

tuttleboy
07-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I bet you can throw it MUCH further than trying to push/throw it away from you! :>}

With the former you are using your body as a fulcrum.

Not arguing the "Can't do it" just pointing out that its easier to throw backwards than forwards AND you won't hit yourself.

You are absolutley right...but that's not the way the rules say a throw works in the game. Adding comments like this can sometimes end up muddying the waters for people looking for answers for the game, not the real world.

tort
07-09-2011, 06:10 PM
The requirement to move away from the model thrown is only for a one handed throw. For a two handed throw you can choose to follow the requirements for a one handed throw or to simply throw at a model in line of sight. Here is where it gets tricky: The model moves in a straight line from its current location directly towards its target model (on a hit otherwise directly towards the determined spot). It will move over models with smaller bases and they will suffer a collateral damage roll. If it contacts a model with an equal sized base that model suffers a collateral damage roll, the model thrown suffers an additional dice damage and the throw stops. If it contacts a model with a larger base then the throw stops, the model contacted does not suffer a collateral damage roll and the model thrown suffers an additional dice on its damage roll.

In summary: Normal throw: must move away, two handed throw: most not contact the base of the model doing the throw but does not need to move away. As the path of the thrown models base cannot contact your own base (or else the throw would stop) you cannot throw behind you.

This was my original post but it is incorrect due to an infernal ruling. It would be nice if we could have strike-through so that you could edit posts to avoid confusion but still have the thread make sense.

Hiro
07-09-2011, 07:28 PM
So with a 360 LOS you could do a two hand throw at a target behind you, but it contacts your base and stops thereby taking the throw damage with the additional die? As long as the base is smaller than yours you don't take any collateral damage. And then you could buy additional fist attacks to continue to pummel the poor wretch? Kinda like throwing it down over a knee, then pummeling it, but you need the 360 LOS to pull it off.

CrazyBlaine
07-09-2011, 07:51 PM
you could throw a large base wit ha medium base and it would not stop when it contacts you ;>

mazgier
07-09-2011, 08:04 PM
you could throw a large base wit ha medium base and it would not stop when it contacts you ;>
Except that both: Throw and Double-Hand Throw rules include a phrase: "A model cannot throw a model with a larger base"...

petegrrrr
07-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Okay, before any more misinformation gets put out there, the only responses that anyone needs to read are Valanders and Mazgier.

A) you cannot throw a model towards your base. 360 LOS doesn't change that at all. If you try and throw towards your base, it's an illegal move.

B) You cannot throw a larger based model.

That's pretty much it.

Trollicious
07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
@tort

Yes, the rulebook only states that a one-hand throw must be away, however, there has been a subsequent ruling that all throws must be away:

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?7084-Throwing-behind&p=122023#post122023

tort
07-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I was not aware of that ruling. Is there some kind of compilation of infernal rulings that modify the rules as written?

yastobaal
07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Officially no, but there is this unofficial errata (http://warmachinehordes.wikia.com/wiki/Unofficial_Errata).

Arasaka
07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Officially no, but there is this unofficial errata (http://warmachinehordes.wikia.com/wiki/Unofficial_Errata).

Hot damn, that link should be sticky'd in a post all on its own. Thanks for posting it - I am glad I came across it!

quindraco
07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Yay! People are updating instead of waiting for me to!

Nonetheless, I did go in and tidy up, as all power attacks are melee attacks and someone put the throw ruling under other, not general melee. Remember to categorise as well as you can, please, so other people can more easily find a ruling when they need one.