PDA

View Full Version : Thrasher/Backswing & charge

E2lio2tR
08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey all

Ok this may sound like a dumb question but I have heard 2 different POV on it & both make sense. So just want to clear it up.
Here it is:
What you charge with a model with back swing or thrasher, you get to make 2 or more attacks as the same attack. They are classified as being simultaneous. So the two school so thought I have heard so far.

1.) Only the first attack you make gets the bonus dice. each is its own attack.
2.) All the attacks get the bonus damage dice from the charge since it is all done simultaneously and the same attack making it the first attack.

So from my POV its the 2nd one because its one big swing that the model is doing & each roll is representing the target models getting a chance to dodge the attack. If I am wrong I am ok with it. Id rather play a fair game then be right. Wouldnt have the question if I didnt have 2 different answers from 2 PG's during different ternaments.

Thanks for the help

JacobtheAussie
08-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Its 1 the first attack against the charge target is considered the charge attack, the rest are considered normal melee attacks

quindraco
08-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Plugging the unofficial errata for this post, as this is covered under backswing (although not under thresher or simultaneous attacks, as neither of those have needed an entry, so it would have been a tad difficult to search for).

Simul attacks work as follows unless otherwise noted (for example, sprays have a special modification) (written in pseudocode because I am a computer nerd):

while potential targets remain:
*determine the next target
*roll to hit it
*if you hit, roll damage, but do not resolve the damage total yet (for example, no tough rolls)
when no potential targets remain, resolve all damage at once.

The above while loop is resolved *sequentially*, not simultaneously. Only damage resolution is simultaneous (again, unless otherwise noted, and sprays are downright wacky in this regard). Thus, when you make any set of simul attacks on a charge, be it thresher, backswing, or something else, only the first roll gets benefits from charging, such as +2 mat if you're cavalry or a bonus damage die if you're anything.

E2lio2tR
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys. Like I said both ways make sense to me in the language but I knew one was right & the other wrong. Just wanted to clear it up some. Now I know how to play it right & that makes it a better game for all.

juckto
08-03-2011, 03:45 PM
A charge attack is boosted.
A charge attack is an attack against your charge target.*
You can only declare one charge target.

*Now I want to go get my rulebook and doublecheck what the definition of a charge attack really is.