PDA

View Full Version : Double Handed Throw question

NukaCola
08-04-2011, 10:08 AM
2 small issues came up last night regarding double-handed throws and just wanted to make sure of something...

1) If a warjack fails his first throw, can he just spend a focus to do another throw or would he have to buy an attack (for each arm, if needed) and THEN the power attack?

2) Can a warjack throw a target directly in front of him sidewards (as if the warjack was actually just in the side of his front arc)?

quindraco
08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
1) You cannot buy power attacks with focus after initial attacks are over barring a special rule that allows it (which to my knowledge does not exist currently in the game).

2) No, as I understand your question. The thrown model must always move directly away from the thrower.

Valander
08-04-2011, 10:24 AM
quindraco has the right of it.

A little more elaboration on #2: if you read the definition of "away", you'll see that basically you must always be increasing the distance between the model's bases. If you pick a direction that would cause that to not be the case, then it's not "away" and therefore isn't a legal direction to target the throw/2-handed throw.

NukaCola
08-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Ah, thank you very much. I thought it was a weird throw because it was a sort of backwardsish direction...

But as for the first question, you'd have to buy 2 extra attacks (or 1 for a one-handed) to do an extra double handed throw? Or is it just 1 power attack per turn?

Valander
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Ah, thank you very much. I thought it was a weird throw because it was a sort of backwardsish direction...

But as for the first question, you'd have to buy 2 extra attacks (or 1 for a one-handed) to do an extra double handed throw? Or is it just 1 power attack per turn?
You can only do one power attack per turn. Using a power attack is in place of all of your initial attacks, and you can only buy additional normal (i.e., not special) attacks. (Unless, of course, a specific model's ability states otherwise.)

rivenwyrm
08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you're querying about the kodiak. The kodiak's chain attack rule states (as all other chain attack rules state) "If this model hits ... with both its initial attacks ..." Your initial attacks are the ones you make right after your movement and for which you pay no focus. No other attacks are considered "initial".