PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Into Melee Question

nosferatubgc
08-12-2011, 06:29 AM
A Carnivean is melee with 4 Iron Fang Pikeman, 2 more Pikeman with their Reach are engaging the Carnivean, and the last 4 Pikeman are not in melee range of any enemy models. I move up my Raptors to shoot some Pikeman. Do I suffer the melee penalty to all of these models or do I suffer the penalty to only ones at least engaged or do I suffer it to only the ones in melee with the Carnivean? I want to be clear on this so I can help any discrepancies at our shop.

Macallan
08-12-2011, 06:33 AM
A Carnivean is melee with 4 Iron Fang Pikeman, 2 more Pikeman with their Reach are engaging the Carnivean...
I think that you misunderstand several game terms here. Engaging, engaged, in melee. You should give a new read to these rules.

The penalty applies when you target a model in melee. You are in melee when you are either engaged or engaging. Your Carnivean is in melee with 6 Pikemen, not 4.

henderslice
08-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Your raptors can shoot the 4 Pikemen that are not in their melee range (outside of reach range) of the Carnivean without the penalty. The other 6 are in melee range (Pikeman reach) so you would take the penalty on those.

Cryx_Iceman
08-13-2011, 11:33 PM
so would this also work the other way round as well. Say if I were to charge a warjack with tartarus, who has reach and dark shroud (-2arm to models in his melee range) and then flanked around the side to shoot the jack with say a leviathan, would you still be shooting at the jack with a -4 hit modifier if the jack didn't also have reach?

tort
08-13-2011, 11:59 PM
If tartarus is engaging the jack then both Tartarus and the jack are in melee and you follow the normal rules for shooting into melee.

You are in melee if you are engaging or engaged. If Tartarus is in the jacks melee range and line of sight the Tartarus is being engaged. If the Jack is in Tartarus' melee range of the jack and has line of sight to it then he is engaging the jack. Either situation would count BOTH models as being in melee.