PDA

View Full Version : Trample Question

Vladik
08-12-2011, 12:17 PM
I know this has probably been addressed before, but I'd rather not dig up old posts due to some people being sensitive about that kind of stuff. Here's my question:

The rules state that when you trample, you move your SPD+3" and your base has to fit in the area that you want your 'jack to occupy. At my local store, people have a mixed understanding of how this is interpreted. Some people believe that you MUST travel your SPD+3", no more, no less. Other people believe that you can travel UP TO your SPD+3" but you can voluntarily end the trample just short of your intended designated point, so long as your base fits on the area it will occupy. So how do people play this trample power attack correctly?

Is it SPD+3" NO EXCEPTIONS? Or is it UP TO SPD+3"?

Nowhere in the Prime does it say that the 'jack MUST travel SPD+3". All the Prime says is, "The model then advances up to its current SPD+3" in a straight line in that direction." (p.55)

So I interpret this to be that a player can voluntarily end the trample with less distance than SPD+3". Thoughts?

Valander
08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
It is specified as "up to" in the rules:

Choose a direction in which you wish to trample, and turn the model to face that direction. The model then advances up to its current SPD plus 3" in a straight line in that direction.

So, if you have SPD 6, you could trample anywhere between 0 and 9 inches. (Though, keep in mind the recent ruling that didn't quite make it in time for May's errata that you must actually cross over a model's base to make a trample attack against it; not just contact it.)

Mix Master Gilgamesh
08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Your interpretation would be correct. "Up to" means any distance from 0" up to SPD+3"

Vladik
08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
awesome thanks guys!