PDA

View Full Version : Destruction Scenario

Necra-Chi
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
From the destruction scenario, emphasis mine

Players earn 1 control point for each cumulative 10 points of damage that have been dealt to their opponent?s structures. Players only earn control points the first time that the damage is inflicted. The first player to earn 3 control points and have more control points than his opponent immediately wins the match. If time runs out before a player has won the match via scenario or assassination victory, break the tie using only the primary tiebreaker rules outlined in ?Victory & Tiebreakers.? If those criteria do not determine a winner, the player with more combined damage boxes remaining on his own objectives wins the match.

What exactly does the bold part mean?

Kommissar Golovko
01-20-2010, 11:00 PM
The way I understand it is you earn 1 CP the first time you deal 10 points of damage to your opponent's structure. If the structure has 30 points as in the scenario, then you only get 1 CP when you deal a total of 10 points, whether one attack or cumulative. You don't get another CP when you deal the next 10 points destroying the structure. You then have to move on to the next structure and deal 10 points to that structure to get another CP.

I don't get how one manages to get the 3rd CP seeing as there are only two structures though. Most likely I am wrong in mhy interpretion but that's how I understand it.

If that clause were not there, one could get 3 CPs from the first structure and another 3 CPs from the second structure.

Kuarnix
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
It's worded like that to prevent any confusion about how scoring is done. You should get a point for each set of 10 damage inflicted, no matter when you do it. But you only get each set of 10 once! You won't get a point every time you check to see if you've done ten damage.

tensteam
01-20-2010, 11:51 PM
I was just wondering why there is this part:

The first player to earn 3 control points and have more control points than his opponent immediately wins the match.

If you are winning the game immediately when having 3 control points how come you wouldn't have more points than your opponent then?

Hacksaw76
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
It's worded like that to prevent any confusion about how scoring is done. You should get a point for each set of 10 damage inflicted, no matter when you do it. But you only get each set of 10 once! You won't get a point every time you check to see if you've done ten damage.
This is correct.

I was just wondering why there is this part:

The first player to earn 3 control points and have more control points than his opponent immediately wins the match.

If you are winning the game immediately when having 3 control points how come you wouldn't have more points than your opponent then?
There are ways to do damage to an objective during your opponent's turn such as witch hound and similar out of turn effects. These effects could cause a tie at the end of a turn.

tensteam
01-21-2010, 02:55 AM
There are ways to do damage to an objective during your opponent's turn such as witch hound and similar out of turn effects. These effects could cause a tie at the end of a turn.
But doesn't it say that the game ends immediately when the damage is done and control points are gained, not at the end of turn? In other scenarios control points are gained at the end of turn, but Destruction scenario has nothing that says so. I don't think there is any effect in the game that could damage your objective and enemy objective at the same time?

blue loki
01-21-2010, 05:43 AM
I don't think there is any effect in the game that could damage your objective and enemy objective at the same time?
That doesn't mean that such an effect will not exist in the future. The rule is there to handle the situation should such a scenario ever arise.

TheUnknownMercenary
01-21-2010, 05:54 AM
It is worded that way so that you can only get 1 CP per structure per turn. If you deal more than 10 points per turn per structure you only get 1 CP.

Marth
01-21-2010, 07:12 AM
With a scenario like this, I weep at the thought of the DC and Marauder having lost their "Double Damage to Structures" ability.

Necra-Chi
01-21-2010, 01:19 PM
It is worded that way so that you can only get 1 CP per structure per turn. If you deal more than 10 points per turn per structure you only get 1 CP.

Really? I don't understand what Hacksaw said at all.

The way I read it was the exact opposite, that if you ever wnat to get to 3 CP you needed to find a way to damage one of teh structures for 20+ points in one go.

I don't see how someone could count the 10 points inflicted twice? How? Its like a model with a damage bar, you check how much damage is on it and each multiple of 10 is the number of CP you get.

Or is this to prevent confusion if the objective is healed/repaired? Is that even possible?

goreshde
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I think it means if for some reason you decided to heal a structure and it gets re-damaged, those repeated damage points don't count.

Necra-Chi
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Ok thanks.

Wishing
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
I think the bolded text in the quote is just a way of explaining that once you've damaged a structure for 10 points, that damage awards you 1 point for the rest of the game - you don't gain cumulative points each turn for each building you've damaged, which is a way that the first sentence could theoretically be interpreted.

An easier way to explain it would probably have been "at any given time, your points score is equal to 1 point for every 10 damage that has been inflicted on a building".