PDA

View Full Version : Does a ranged magic attack still constitute a ranged attack?

Reuben
08-14-2011, 10:57 PM
This has probably been answered elsewhere, but my search fu is weak:

Example - Kromac casts rift at something in his control area whilst Warpath is in effect. He kills whatever hapless peon he aims at. Does this count as an "Attack" in reference to the spell effect?

ShadowOfDawn
08-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Its not a ranged attack, so it wont trigger Warpath. Magic attacks and ranged attacks are different things, though they are both kinds of attacks.

Alviaran
08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
It is still an attack, but it is not a ranged attack. Attacks come in three varieties:

Melee Attack
Ranged Attack
Magic Attack

You can have Magical Melee Attacks and Magical Ranged Attacks (ie, melee and ranged attacks made with magical weapons). But they are not a Magic Attack. And even if cast at range, a Magic Attack is not a Ranged Attack.

And as I recall (my book isn't near me right now), Warpath only triggers off of Ranged and Melee Attacks. So no, Warpath will not trigger off of a Rift cast. It is a similar problem with Druids who cannot trigger Warpath for Kromac (via Force Bolt anyway. They can still whack things in melee with their staves to trigger it).

MaGoff
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
The different types of attacks in Warmahordes was a bit confusing in the beginning for me as well. So just to clarify what Alviaran wrote:

There are in total 4 kinds of attacks in the games. These are Melee, Ranged, Magic and Other.

1. Melee - This is a close combat attack, usually made with a sword, axe or similar weapon. On a models card, any melee weapon will have the Melee Weapon symbol (brown w. sword).

2. Ranged - This is an attack that is made with a Ranged Weapon, usually a bow, rifle, pistol or something like that. Any ranged weapon on a model will have a Ranged Weapon symbol on its card (green w. pistol).

3. Magic Attack - This is an offensive Spell, either from a Warcaster/Warlock or from a model with Magic Ability. These attacks are always Magical.

4. Other - A few rare attacks are none of the above and have unique special rules (Rain of Death for example).

Some models have the Magical Weapon quality :Magic-Wpn: on their Ranged and/or Melee attacks. This means that their sword/rifle/whatever is a magical weapon and can damage Incorporeal models and things like that, but the model is still making Ranged or Melee Attacks with it.

The most common mistake seems to be confusing Magic Attacks for being Ranged Attacks.

I hope this helps!