PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion Damage when Entering or ending activation...

Natureplayer55
08-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Question: When a spell Effects says "Models Entering or Ending there Activations in the 3' AOE Take 1 point of corrosion damage"

So IF you place the 3' AOE on top of say 2 models, DO they only take damage if they stay in the AOE? Do they take damage from Leaving the AOE?

The wording Confuses me.

Valander
08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
If you place such a template on top of models, they will take damage from it if they do not leave it during their activation. If models that were not already in it move into it, they will take damage.

Natureplayer55
08-15-2011, 08:45 AM
If you place such a template on top of models, they will take damage from it if they do not leave it during their activation. If models that were not already in it move into it, they will take damage.

Ahhh, SO Placing the AOE Over units Doesnt Do damage unless they Walk into it, or end there activations in it. Leaving the AOE or Placing it on top of something doesnt do any damage correct?

Valander
08-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Well, it depends on any other rules for the AOE as to whether they'll take damage when it's placed (some spells that do this kind of thing will cause damage initially, some don't), but in regards to that particular part of the rule, that's how it works.

Was there a particular spell/effect that brought up this question, since there are a few different effects that have this kind of behavior?

Natureplayer55
08-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Well, it depends on any other rules for the AOE as to whether they'll take damage when it's placed (some spells that do this kind of thing will cause damage initially, some don't), but in regards to that particular part of the rule, that's how it works.

Was there a particular spell/effect that brought up this question, since there are a few different effects that have this kind of behavior?

eAsphyxious 3' AOE spell

Valander
08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
eAsphyxious 3' AOE spell

Breath of Corruption. This has two different effects.

Models hit suffer a POW 12 corrosion damage roll. The AOE is a cloud effect that remains in play for one round. Models entering or ending their activation in the AOE suffer 1 point of corrosion damage.

So, if you place it on top of models, those models will be hit and take the POW 12 damage roll. If they survive, then they will be inside the cloud, and thus must move out on their activations, since if they end their activation inside the cloud, they will take an automatic 1 point of corrosion damage. If other models move into that cloud, they will take 1 point of corrosion damage.

themocaw
08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
If they walk in and then stay in, do they take 2 damage?

Valander
08-15-2011, 09:11 AM
If they walk in and then stay in, do they take 2 damage?

No. It says "entering or ending", not "entering and ending". It will only trigger once, on whichever comes first. (So a model that walks in, takes a point, and survives because they have more than one wound, will not take a second if it remains in the cloud.)

Corpsemourn
08-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Isn't it when they enter their activations? So if they activate and the AOE is still on them they take damage before their movement begins as they are entering their activations...

Bishop84
08-15-2011, 09:33 AM
You never "enter" your activation. The "enter" refers to the state change of not being in the cloud to being in the cloud.

Valander
08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Isn't it when they enter their activations? So if they activate and the AOE is still on them they take damage before their movement begins as they are entering their activations...

You begin your activation; you don't enter it. It does not work this way.

Tom Servo
08-15-2011, 11:03 AM
eAsphyxious 3' AOE spell

So, not breath of corruption.

Caustic mist does no damage when placed.

Valander
08-15-2011, 11:20 AM
So, not breath of corruption.

Caustic mist does no damage when placed.

Oh, woops. But yes, that's correct.

themocaw
08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
No. It says "entering or ending", not "entering and ending". It will only trigger once, on whichever comes first. (So a model that walks in, takes a point, and survives because they have more than one wound, will not take a second if it remains in the cloud.)

I don't think "and" means what you think it does, but I'll concede your point on the "or," given that if you were allowed to take the second point of damage, the ability should read "and/or."

Valander
08-15-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't think "and" means what you think it does, but I'll concede your point on the "or," given that if you were allowed to take the second point of damage, the ability should read "and/or."

You really want to argue grammar?

Nowhere in the rules is the phrase "entering activation" ever used. It's a parallel construct, which I'll demonstrate with some editorial marking:

"Models entering [the AOE] or ending their activation in the AOE suffer 1 point of corrosion damage."

EDIT:
Also, reading and/or wouldn't fix it, either, because that would still imply that you enter your activation, and would not cause this effect to cause damage when a model enters the AOE, which is what it does.

EDIT 2:
And if you don't want to take my word for it, how about an Infernal's?
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?62077-Covering-Suppressing-Fire-type-Templates-Enters-or-Ends-its-Activation-question&p=850042&viewfull=1#post850042

themocaw
08-15-2011, 02:09 PM
You really want to argue grammar?

Nowhere in the rules is the phrase "entering activation" ever used.

I'm going to stop you right here because I think you're about to argue a point that I never made. I never said anything about "entering activation."

Cryx_Iceman
08-16-2011, 12:32 AM
The point of this thread should be that a model doesn't take damage from the AOE if they started their activation in it unless they stay there until their activation ends. If the ability automatically caused a point of damage to anything that was in it as soon as they started their activation, it would be a pretty OP spell because gaspy would just walk up, lay down 2-3 caustic mists since they aren't upkeep spells and only cost 2 focus each and just lay them down over a huge chunk of 1 wound infantry and there would be nothing the opponent could do to save them unless they could negate the cloud effects, the models had corrosion immunity or the caster had some sort of spell that granted corrosion immunity.

If you are intending on using the caustic mist spell offensively instead of defensively (LOS blocker and such), then take a unit of Saytaxis raiders, run them up to within melee range of your juicy target, move up and lay down caustic mists against anything they are engaging without having the AOE covering any saytaxis. The following turn, the opponent has 2 choices. Either try to kill the saytaxis, which would require them to stay in the AOE to do so, meaning they would die at the end of their activations, kill them with somthing else, which would be difficult as their DEF against range weps would be 18 (20 with the sea witch attachment) and the AOE's would be blocking charges from other units, or try to advance out of the AOE's and take brutal free strikes from the saytaxis on their way out. This tactic would also work quite soundly with bane knights, but for obvious reasons, the raiders have a higher threat range, particularly if you are taking a raider captain for the desperate pace (* action) and the sea witch UA for pathfinder.

sleet01
08-16-2011, 06:53 AM
The rules forum is not the place for tactical discussions, Iceman.