PDA

View Full Version : Double Locker animus to stop model from moving at all.

AngraX
08-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Recently at the Skorne forums, people were talking about the Cyclops shaman and Titan sentry casting Locker and engaging a target model to stop it from advancing at all. People in the thread were agreeing this is valid.

I would like to understand why this is valid since there's also a ruling which says a model cannot have two effects of the same name applied to them.

Bobby1213
08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
A model cant animus more than once a turn, but if the sentry casts Locker on himself and the Warlock puts Locker on another model, then there are 2 seperate counts on different models, which is valid. This is the only way to do it i believe. Primal 74, 78-79 for reference.

vintersbastard
08-16-2011, 12:44 AM
A model cant animus more than once a turn, but if the sentry casts Locker on himself and the Warlock puts Locker on another model,
Just a little note: Locker is target "self", so you need either a Shaman or the warlock himself to do it (or a second Titan Sentry).

Bladestorm
08-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Same-named effects don't stack, but I'm not sure they are even trying to stack in this case, rather they are simply both in play at the same time.

AngraX
08-16-2011, 04:00 AM
Can you guys think of any other spell, animi or effect that would behave the same in warmahordes? If Skorne joined a team battle with PoM and lamentation was cast twice, would it quadruplicate the focus cost? My point is, I want to be able to easily tell what is "stackable" and what is not.

Bladestorm
08-16-2011, 04:42 AM
Stacking is where the effect increases.

For example you cannot stack two cases of Dark Shroud (-2 ARM) to get -4 ARM.

In this instance with the Locker animus the effect doesn't increase - you are not doubly prevented from moving away from a model for instance. Rather there are two separate points you cannot move away from.

nachtnebel
08-16-2011, 04:45 AM
That's easy: If an effect has a name, like "target model gains Snipe", it is only stackable if it says so. If the effect has no name, like "+2 DEF" or "double the focus cost" it is stackable unless it says so.

Hasten
08-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I liked the way Rydiafan explained it in this other thread:
(https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?51763-Paralytic-Aura-Covering-Fire-Locker-and-stacking-same-named-effects&p=718895&viewfull=1#post718895)

To expound a little on the logic...

Two Dark Shrouds are doing the same thing: -2 ARM
Two Lockers are doing different things: One is pulling you towards model A and one is pulling you towards model B
Two Covering Fires are doing different things: Template A is damaging you for entering template A, and template B is damaging you for entering template B.

Furthermore, in post #2 of that same thread, Rydiafan quotes an Infernal's ruling on the matter, though for some reason I can't access that thread. Here's what Maudlin had to say on the matter:

Well, it's not because a rule is named the same as another rule that you can't be affected by both. Two overlapping Covering Fire Templates generate two damage rolls, for example. You can have 2 or more models with Shield Guard covering the same model. 2 or more Extollers eligible to get the same soul with Gatekeeper (although only one would get it). A unit can be affected by 2 or more models with the Commander advantage. I could threaten to go on :)

This is different from identical rules that don't stack, like Paralytic Aura, which means the bonus is +2 instead of +4.

In the case of 2 Lockers, I'd put that in the first category. I don't know what it would mean to 'stack' an effect that pulls you left with an effect that pulls you right.

-H