PDA

View Full Version : How to resolve Marauder's "Ram Pistons Combo Smite" ability?

khadorfan
08-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Hi guys,
newbie here. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'd tried looking through the forum and couldnt find a thread that answer my question...perhaps its too silly to begin with. Anyway, can anyone tell me how is the khador Marauder's "Ram Pistons Combo Smite" ability resolved? The rules says that this ability "replaces normal damage roll with Str12 plus twice of Pow". But given that normal dmg roll is given as Str+Pow+2d6, does this mean that the Ram Piston special replaces the normal (+2D6) part of the equation with Pow+Pow or does it replace the entire Str+Pow+2d6 with Str+Pow+Pow instead?

In other words, does the Ram Piston Combo Smite deal a damage of Str12+2xPow4+2d6 for a potential maximum of 32 or just Str12+2xPow4 with no "+2d6" modifier which is a straight 20??

Thanks!

bitmatic
08-16-2011, 03:05 AM
It's 20... But i completely understand your confusion - the wording is not very precise.

EDIT: I just re-read your question, and to avoid any confusion the total damage from a combo-smite is 2D6 + 20. It is effectively just adding the POW (4) of both pistons into one single attack.

bitmatic
08-16-2011, 03:06 AM
It was recently discussed here: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?74391-Slayer-s-combo-strike-damage-roll-should-be-32-2d6

khadorfan
08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Thank you Bitmatic! Wow, that means the Marauder can get up to 32 pts of damage?!? man, that is insane...I might just have to deploy this baby in my battlegroup :)

juckto
08-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Up to 38 if you boost the damage.

bitmatic
08-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Thank you Bitmatic! Wow, that means the Marauder can get up to 32 pts of damage?!? man, that is insane...I might just have to deploy this baby in my battlegroup :)

44 pts actually.... Remember, on the charge the Combo smite does 20+3D6 and you add an additional die if you slam the target into another model/obstacle/obstruction.

What makes the marauder so cool is that you get to make an "aimed" slam.... On a normal slam you have to move directly towards the target, but since the marauder can slam after a charge move, you can position it so that it aims the slam target at models behind it maximizing the collateral damage you deal.

With the marauder it is entirely possbile to slam one heavy into another causing 20+4D6 damage on the first target, and 12+2D6 on the second knocking them both down.
All for the price of 1 focus :)

Blarathyh
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Isn't the extra dice for being slammed into another model on the collateral damage roll? Not the combo smite in this situation?

Pyrodude32
08-18-2011, 10:25 AM
No, collateral damage rolls are simply 2d6 + Str and they can NOT be boosted.

The extra dice is because the model was slammed into another model with the same size base or larger. You do not perform a collateral damage roll on the slammed model.

quindraco
08-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Isn't the extra dice for being slammed into another model on the collateral damage roll? Not the combo smite in this situation?

It's a combo slam, not a combo smite, with special rules.

Blarathyh
08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
It's a combo slam, not a combo smite, with special rules.

Well, the name of the special attack is combo smite, for accuracy's sake, but yeah it makes much more sense after re-reading the card, thanks.

quindraco
08-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Well, the name of the special attack is combo smite, for accuracy's sake, but yeah it makes much more sense after re-reading the card, thanks.

My bad, I meant it's not a combo strike, sorry.

khadorfan
08-19-2011, 02:22 AM
huh? I think I am a little lost here with the multi-modifiers and techno jargons?so correct me if i am wrong but to put the matters at rest, is the following assumption right?
Lets say that a Marauder begins its attack against a Cygnar Lancer with the "Ram Piston Combo Smite" on charge AND receiving a focus boost on damage, this yields a damage of Str12+2xPow4+4d6 which yields a maximum of 44 dmgs. The 4D6 comes from the:
Standard 2D6 +
1 more D6 from successful charge boost +
1 more D6 from Focus boost

In addition, this poor lancer was also slammed into a friendly Ironclad as a result from the Ram, and since the Iron Clad has a larger base, the Lancer suffers another Str12+Pow12+3D6 (with Pow=Str12 due to slam damage into a larger unit) which yields a maximum 42 damages.

So in total, the poor Lancer has just suffered a total of 44+42 = 86 pts of damages??
That sounds a little crazy and is this the maximum combo already??

Lego-Pup
08-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Standard 2D6 +
1 more D6 from successful charge boost +
1 more D6 from Focus boost

You cannot boost a charge with focus since it is already boosted. Should be 3D6:
Standard 2D6 +
1 more D6 from boost (either from successful charge or focus)

bitmatic
08-19-2011, 02:34 AM
No.

First of all, you can not boost the damage on the charge attack. It is already boosted.

The basic damage on a Combo-smite charge would be Str12+2xPow4+3D6. Which is up to 38.

Since the lancer is slammed into another model with an equal-sized or larger base, an additional die is added. Taking it to 20+4D6. That is all the damage the lancer would suffer.

Mournbringer
08-20-2011, 03:20 PM
44 pts actually.... Remember, on the charge the Combo smite does 20+3D6 and you add an additional die if you slam the target into another model/obstacle/obstruction.

It's only an extra dmg die against a model with an equal or larger sized base or an obstacle/obstruction.