PDA

View Full Version : Charge for extra move and end activation before taking attack?

ShatteredFaith
08-16-2011, 06:27 PM
So a while back I was discussing the idea of charging my own model to get extra movement, ending in melee with it, casting spells, then ending activation before taking my melee attack against my own model. I was informed by a couple different people up at my LGS that that was not allowed and that I couldn't just end my activation like that.

I am curious, if this is not allowed, where does it state I cant end my models activation as such, and if that IS the case, could I instead end my TURN after doing it, or would that still not be allowed? I don't remember anything in the rules forbidding ending activation like that, page numbers are appreciated.

Valander
08-16-2011, 06:29 PM
When you charge, you are required to make a combat action, choosing the initial attacks or melee special attacks (if you have one) option, and your first attack must target the charged model. So if you charge your own model, you are obligated to make at least one melee attack against it.

Edit

All of this is detailed in the section on charges.

petegrrrr
08-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Pg 42.

After resolving it's normal movement, if the model did not forfeit it's action, then it uses its action to make either a combat action or special action.

ShatteredFaith
08-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I was under the impression you could end activation at any time, but thank you for the page number.

Bishop84
08-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Typically, you can end a model/unit's activation at any time. There's no initial obligation for a model do anything during its activation. But by charging, you entered into the "must attack charge target" obligation, and so cannot end the activation until all obligations have been met.

There are ways to trick out of it like charging a target with a Telekinesis warcaster/lock or a geomancy beast, using telekinesis after the charge movement but before the attack, and placing the model in such a way that it can't attack its charge target. You are then free to attack other models, but do not get the charge bonus.

Anurien
08-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Pg 42.

After resolving it's normal movement, if the model did not forfeit it's action, then it uses its action to make either a combat action or special action.

Normal movement rather than charge? Does a charge not 'convert' its normal movement into a 'charge move' and a 'charge attack'? Interested as several similar things have occured to me and I am new to the game :D

On page 46 (Prime:mk2, Charge)

to charge you must have your normal movement and action. And you must use your action to attack.

It sounds like, if you charge and end in melee range then you have to attack. If you can use something to move you away from melee range then you can attack or forfeit etc. Such as Teleport or gate crasher or whatsis names thingy that whotsits the doobery... sorry too many meta-syntactic variables

TL;DR:- the post above this one ;D

vintersbastard
08-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Normal movement rather than charge?

No, charging is one way of using a model's normal movement. It's still normal movement.

Valander
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
No, charging is one way of using a model's normal movement. It's still normal movement.

Yup, per usual, vintersbastard is correct. Rules backup:

The term normal movement refers to the movement a model makes during the movement portion of its activation.
Emphasis not mine, not NmoLvr's. ;)

NmoLvr
08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Emphasis not mine, not NmoLvr's. ;)

I concur. That is no emphasis of mine, chris. :D

Anurien
08-19-2011, 12:35 AM
I was looking at this cos the idea of using charges for extra movement comes up alot. It feels counter intuitive to be able to forfeit its action especially as the charge rules state it must use it's action to attack in melee. And the forfeiting rules (pg65?) say you have to forfeit for something.

but hey-ho, there ya go!