PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bob & Weave

Gazhul
08-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Under the Bob & Weave order, do you only get to advance? Card says during normal movement, but doesn't an order take up your entire turn. ie You can't advance with Bob & Weave and shoot?

quindraco
08-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Under the Bob & Weave order, do you only get to advance? Card says during normal movement, but doesn't an order take up your entire turn. ie You can't advance with Bob & Weave and shoot?

Charge and Run are both orders, and charging certainly doesn't take up your entire turn, so I don't know where you got that idea. You can certainly shoot after B&Wing. The reason it's an order is so you can't run or charge with B&W up.

rivenwyrm
08-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Orders are probably the most poorly worded section of the rulebook/cards. You can bob & weave and then shoot. The Charge and Run orders (giving the charge order allows models in your unit to run instead of charge, although giving the run order means they can only run) take up your turn because that's just how they work. Other orders, such as Shield Wall or Bob & Weave, just dictate effects, but do not change the normal movement-action sequence.

Gazhul
08-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I thought as much but it was challenged at LGS so thought I would inquire. Thank you both!

quindraco
08-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I thought as much but it was challenged at LGS so thought I would inquire. Thank you both!

The following is CRITICAL to proper operation of a deathstar; read this before fielding, because if they challenged that, they'll challenge this.

You may get up from knockdown by saccing movement, bob and weave, and attack.

rivenwyrm
08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
You may get up from knockdown by saccing movement, bob and weave, and attack.

I believe that the models who do this are still affected by the +2 DEF as well, because the order does not link the +2 DEF to the movement, it simply says "x and y". You cannot satisfy "x" (they were knocked down, so they cannot make a full advance) but you can satisfy "y" (affected models gain +2 DEF for one round) since those models in the unit in formation receive the order and are thus "affected".

If that's incorrect I'd like to know.

CeltKhan
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Quin, the order does state that models who receive the order must advance (I assume to prevent getting the aiming bonus). If you sac move, you cannot advance, and thus, cannot fulfill a condition of the order. Do you have a link clarifying the interaction?

rivenwyrm
08-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Actually, it says
Affected models make an advance during their normal movement this activation and gain +2 DEF for one round. Not "must make an advance".

The Captain
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Actually, it says

Not "must make an advance".
Prime, page 29:

Rules directing or describing actions or circumstances are treated as if they used "must". Examples include "Gain an additional die," "Knocked down models stand up," and "This model gains cover."

rivenwyrm
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Good to know.

Either way, I still think that you can get the +2 DEF if you were knocked down. To the rules forum!
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?55177-Bob-amp-Weave-Aiming-Bonus&p=761942&viewfull=1#post761942
It's a bit long winded, but the last two posts seem to confirm this precise point. The order has no join (if ... then ...) between the "x" and the "y", and therefore inability to satisfy one does not preclude the other. There was an infernal present in the thread, and he didn't come back to contradict the final conclusion, so presumably it's correct.