PDA

View Full Version : Charge and spell casting? (eFeora)

portlandgamers
08-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Noob question(s):
1. Can you charge a target, and assuming you get into melee range, then cast a spell after movement but before you make your charge?
Example would be eFeora charging then casting Fire Step prior to making charge attack. 2. Would she still have to attack her charge target or could she change her target?

Terraneaux
08-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Noob question(s):
1. Can you charge a target, and assuming you get into melee range, then cast a spell after movement but before you make your charge?
Example would be eFeora charging then casting Fire Step prior to making charge attack. 2. Would she still have to attack her charge target or could she change her target?

1. Yes. If your charge is successful, you have the opportunity to cast a spell after your movement but before your first attack.

2. She could attack anyone; if her charge was successful (i.e. she got there) her activation doesn't end. If her charge target is still in her melee range she must attack them, but if she fire steps out she can attack whoever she's in melee with. Keep in mind she won't get the bonus damage die for the charge on her first melee attack.

computertrucker
08-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I do believe that is Incorrect. As per the rules.

"A Charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has made a successful charge. It MUST use its action to make a combat action, choosing to make either initial melee attacks or a melee special attack."

You cannot interrupt that sequence to cast a spell. I have layed waste to my own troops many times by charging them, killing them and then firestepping. However you must make your attack at the end of the charge if you succeed in the charge. You would have to wait untill after the combat action as per the rules. Then you may cast and buy extra attacks.

portlandgamers
08-18-2011, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE
You cannot interrupt that sequence. I have layed waste to my own troops many times by charging them, killing them and then firestepping. However you must make your attack at the end of the charge if you succeed in the charge.[/QUOTE]

this is the part that confuses me. If there is a break between the charge movement and the charge attack, and you cast Fire step so you are no longer in melee range with the charge target, then I didn't know if the "must attack" is applicable any longer because it's no longer a valid melee target.

computertrucker
08-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Yep the rules clearly state that it MUST use its action to make a COMBAT action. Choosing to make either a Initial melee attack or a melee special attack

Casting a spell would not be that, and would have to come after the sequence.

itchmonkey
08-18-2011, 09:10 PM
It's been asked in the rules forum before. Post #4 here (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?32226-Fire-Stepping-after-a-charge&highlight=efeora) seems to answer it.

Terraneaux
08-18-2011, 09:43 PM
It's been asked in the rules forum before. Post #4 here (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?32226-Fire-Stepping-after-a-charge&highlight=efeora) seems to answer it.

To make it clear, the information I gave in my post was correct. computertrucker is, unfortunately, mistaken on this issue.

Silverstar843
08-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Correct. Spells can be cast before or after moving before ending your activation. Spells also do not take up your combat action. So you can move your charge range, Fire Step, then use your combat action to attack a completely different target as long as your charge move made it to the target model in the first place. That is a very common tactic with eFeora and it works with Thyra's feat as well.

portlandgamers
08-18-2011, 10:01 PM
thanks for the clarification. I'll be able to burn the non-believers even more efficiently now

Moknim
08-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Correct. Spells can be cast before or after moving before ending your activation. Spells also do not take up your combat action. So you can move your charge range, Fire Step, then use your combat action to attack a completely different target as long as your charge move made it to the target model in the first place. That is a very common tactic with eFeora and it works with Thyra's feat as well.

To clarify on Fire Step - after the May (I think) errata, you still have to remain in melee with your charge target.

FearMeMortals
08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Yep the rules clearly state that it MUST use its action to make a COMBAT action. Choosing to make either a Initial melee attack or a melee special attack

Casting a spell would not be that, and would have to come after the sequence.

You can cast a spell after performing a successful charge movement but before you make your melee attack. So what you've said here is wrong.

Terraneaux
08-18-2011, 10:39 PM
To clarify on Fire Step - after the May (I think) errata, you still have to remain in melee with your charge target.

Incorrect.

computertrucker
08-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Ok I typed the above in quotes right out of the book on the charging rules. Guess the book has it incorrect then? it cleary states that it MUST use its action to make a combat action.to make a melee attack. That is exactly how it is printed in the book. It is also how our local press ganger has ruled it. During Warmachine Weekend last year it is the way I played it as well. Would love to see an Infernal Rule upon this.

It does not say that "A Charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has made a successful charge. It MUST use its action to make a combat action, choosing to make either initial melee attacks or a melee special attack. Unless you wish to cast a spell first"

Lego-Pup
08-19-2011, 05:11 AM
p 76 Prime mkII

"A model can cast spells at any time during its activation but cannot interrupt its movment or attack to cast a spell. It can cast a spell before moving, after moving, before an attack, or after an attack, but not while moving or attacking."

Also this is clarified by Mootaz in this post https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?1179-Charge-Movement-(Pause)-Charge-Attack&highlight=charge

Seriade
08-19-2011, 05:22 AM
@Comptertrucker that just means that after making a charge the model charging is locked into melee mode. So if she charged succeeded then fire step she then could not spray as its not a melee attack.

computertrucker
08-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Well then I will definately go with what Mootaz has said. This just helps me out as well in all honesty.. Usually though when I am fire stepping with Efeora after a charge a Warlock or Warcaster is about to die, and its usually going to either be them or me because I failed in the Assasination, Which I have had happen before sitting on 12 focus even with ignite burning on Feora. and boosting attack rolls..

Silverstar843
08-19-2011, 05:36 AM
just remember that after you firestep away, the new melee target has not been charged, so you don't get the extra die of damage for charging. (yes, I know it's actually boosted)

tuttleboy
08-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Check this post for even more recent data with Infernal clarification on what you may do after a successful charge.

LINK (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?73833-Charging-and-Offensive-Spells&p=1030836&viewfull=1#post1030836)