PDA

View Full Version : Questions from tonight's game

Toqtamish
08-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Well we played again tonight, game #4 overall. And again we have questions, hopefully soon we won't have a lot of questions after a game is done. :confused:

1) the Seraph's slipstream animus says to place a model completely within 2 inches of it after its movement ends. Is it possible with this animus to move a model like a Ravagore or is a Ravagore due to model size and base size just not eligible ?

2) The Ghost Walk spell that the Witch Coven gives to model gives it Ghostly. With ghostly does the model also ignore the elevation of terrain ? For example with Ghostly cast on it would it be possible for it to charge an enemy model that is on an elevated piece of terrain ?

3) The Dig In ability that the Stinger and Teraph has. Can the models still shoot as usual while dug in ?

Lanz
08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
1) of course. Moving heavies is what it's intended for. Heck, you can even move a Battle Engine with slipstream.

2) Elevated terrain doesn't affect movement anyways, unless you've got terrain pieces that you've established as cliffs or something, but those don't exist in the normal rules. Normally an elevated surface(like a hill) confers no penalty to moving. So Ghostly would make no difference.

3) Yes, but the digging in is a *action, so they wouldn't be able to dig in and shoot on the same turn. If they start their turn dug in, then they can remain dug in and shoot normally.

Toqtamish
08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Thank you, so what exactly does the completely within 2" mean ?

And this terrain was very much a cliff, its rocky terrain about 2" high that has a flat top on it.

Lanz
08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you, so what exactly does the completely within 2" mean ?

It means that no part of the model can move more than 2". So say you're moving the model forwards 2", then pick the forward edge of the base and move that 2".

If it didn't say COMPLETELY within, then you'd be able to move it such that there is a 2" space between its previous and new location. But slipstream is completely within, not just within, so it doesn't move that far.

Think of it almost like a 2" advance. It's doesn't count as an advance, but that's how far you'd move it.

sleet01
08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Edit: redacted. For some reason I thought Slipstream placed the affected friendly faction model within 2" of the caster, not its own current location. Please ignore me.

Toqtamish
08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Hmm, maybe we are doing it wrong. The animus lets you move a model that the seraph moved within 2" of. Lets say the Ravagore, so can the Seraph and Ravagore start within 2" of each other and then the Seraph moves its 6" or whatever and then the Ravagore moves up to within 2" of the Seraph's new location ? Or does the affected model have to be a model that the Seraph moved up to that is now 2" away, basically where and when does the affected model come from in the Seraph's movement ?

sleet01
08-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Nope, I had it wrong. Forget I said anything.

Toqtamish
08-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Wait I found an old thread, we are doing it wrong. We were moving it within the seraph, but it is supposed to be the target model moves 2" of itself not the Seraph. We were very wrong on that one.

sleet01
08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah, that's how Tow works (kind of) so I get them mixed up a lot.

juckto
08-24-2011, 06:07 PM
And this terrain was very much a cliff, its rocky terrain about 2" high that has a flat top on it.
Then it is up to you and your opponent to agree on how you will treat that piece of terrain - whether it will cause a movement penalty, which ghostly will ignore, or a movement restriction, which ghostly will not ignore.

Note that "movement restriction" is a completely undefined term that I just made up.

+Edit, although from the description it sounds like it would be fine to use the "obstruction" rules for that terrain piece.

Lanz
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Wait I found an old thread, we are doing it wrong. We were moving it within the seraph, but it is supposed to be the target model moves 2" of itself not the Seraph. We were very wrong on that one.

Almost. Here's the order of operations;

1: Cast slipstream on a model before it moves
2: Move that model so that it's path at some point crosses within 2" of the model you wish to move with slipstream.
3: After the movement has finished, slipstream immediately triggers.
4: Make a 2" bubble around the slipstreamed model, then move it anywhere within that area. The entire base of the model must be within this 2" area after the place effect.
5: Finish the activation of the model that used slipstream.

Valrus
08-26-2011, 04:52 AM
3) Yes, but the digging in is a *action, so they wouldn't be able to dig in and shoot on the same turn. If they start their turn dug in, then they can remain dug in and shoot normally.

Since they are beasts they can be forced make their ranged attacks after digging in.

tsochung
08-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Since they are beasts they can be forced make their ranged attacks after digging in.

a model can't make additional attacks after it made a special action

Avarice711
08-26-2011, 08:38 PM
a model can't make additional attacks after it made a special action
only models that can shoot after performing the dig in action are trenchers with ua.