PDA

View Full Version : Quick Strafe clarification

baronvonchaos
10-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Quick question about Strafe.
Not sure if there's been any errata on this, I've been out of the loop for over 8 months.
I have a sentinel. The wording under strafe is that a secondary target can't have more attacks than a primary target.

Given target A and B. Primary and Secondary.
If I target A, get the hit, roll for 6 strafe shots. I can only allocate 3 of the 6 shots to B and the other 3 must be to A.
Correct?

Alternatively:
Targets A, B, C, D. (B, C, & D have 1 wound)
Targetting A, 6 strafe attacks; I resolve A's attack then go to B; B, I fail to roll high enough to kill; I can't target him with another attack unless I switch back to A and throw down another attack.
Correct?

This poses problems if you kill A, you have 6 shots and some heavier targets (B, C, & D) and fail to roll high enough to kill B, but you get C & D. You can't shoot B again because A is gone thus you waste 2 strafe shots.
That's a game altering mechanic. Am I reading this correctly?

Tarrant
10-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I thought you allocated your hits to all the targets before rolling any damage. It's a (*Attack) so all damage is simultaneous.

T.

Eglagrodion
10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
ind, you roll first for your numbe rof shots and then assign them to your targets, followed by rolling attack and damage.

Valander
10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Simultaneous attacks actually follow this order:

Declare attack A, roll to hit, roll damage for attack A.
Declare attack B, roll to hit, roll damage for attack B.
Apply damage for all attacks, resolve triggers.
Attack A resolved.
Attack B resolved.

So:

Given target A and B. Primary and Secondary.
If I target A, get the hit, roll for 6 strafe shots. I can only allocate 3 of the 6 shots to B and the other 3 must be to A.
Correct?
Correct, since that's a special condition of Strafe.

Targets A, B, C, D. (B, C, & D have 1 wound)Targetting A, 6 strafe attacks; I resolve A's attack then go to B; B, I fail to roll high enough to kill; I can't target him with another attack unless I switch back to A and throw down another attack.
Correct?
Correct.

(At least that is my current, newbie-infernal understanding. If it is incorrect, I'm sure Macallan will fix it.;))

Edit: Also see Macallan's post below, which includes one I missed.

Macallan
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
No fix but some additions.

Quick question about Strafe.
If I target A, get the hit, roll for 6 strafe shots.
You do not get 1+6 attacks. It's 6.

This poses problems if you kill A, you have 6 shots and some heavier targets (B, C, & D) and fail to roll high enough to kill B, but you get C & D. You can't shoot B again because A is gone thus you waste 2 strafe shots.
You can give another shot to A since it is not gone. All damage is applied simultaneously at the end.

baronvonchaos
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
So essentially you'd have to waste a shot on a model that's already boxed to be able to have the chance to shoot again at target B.

Valander
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
So essentially you'd have to waste a shot on a model that's already boxed to be able to have the chance to shoot again at target B.

Well, technically speaking it isn't boxed yet. You can assume it will be, but there are other abilities which will trigger as damage is actually applied that could still prevent it from being destroye (like Tough, transfers, etc.).

Belthazar1113
05-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Well, technically speaking it isn't boxed yet. You can assume it will be, but there are other abilities which will trigger as damage is actually applied that could still prevent it from being destroye (like Tough, transfers, etc.).

so if you have 4 shots, and put them all on a caster with one box and every shot hits for damage they only have to xfer or make ONE tough roll? all the damage is stacked up for one large transfer?

TheUnknownMercenary
05-31-2013, 01:47 PM
2 year old thread, locking without checking answer. Any new question should be in a new thread.